make me feel SO SAFE. One problem with the SSSS is that we go into the Precheck line routinely, so we don't look at the ticket for the SSSS. When going through security screening checkpoints: Each person is allowed one carry-on bag, plus a personal item . I was rather taken aback when they told me to lift my shirt in front of that audience. Turned out we had bought some cheese at the Vermont cheese factory and apparently that is the same consistency as some explosive. Which Way is Luxury Hotel Pricing Going in 2023? Enroll in person 10-min in-person appointment that includes fingerprinting for a background check. Flying after 2001 is such a hassle. Would love for all the Trump Terrorists at the Jan 6 insurrection to have SSSS for life with no chance of redress. You do every possible to get a low boarding number, I check in 24 hours to the minunte still only get A27 board group. They checked my carry on but not my handbag! I immediately get flagged for SSSS. 2 hour check ins, invasive body pat downs, intrusive bag searches no thanks. It's when you have it frequently on US domestic trips that you need worry that you're on a list. My wife has TSA Precheck, and I have Global Entry. I had one on JFK-DCA (DL) a few weeks back. First step: Place the carrier on the belt that leads to the scanner. It is treated just like any other identification and will not give you a free pass, so if you get selected for random, you will be sent for random. I was flying back from PV, Mexico last week and was doing the online checkin for my wife and myself. Luckily we had arrived early enough to be among the few people who could get the next available so we were thankful for that. They had me go through the scanner like everyone else, then waved me aside and patted me down. - TSA Agent. I feel discriminated because of my race and religion. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Please view our advertising policy page for additional details about our partners. Final Word So there you have it! Your email address will not be published. Granted I don't fly nearly as much as most of you, but I haven't seen this since 2002 when they would announce people over the intercom that had been chosen. People from certain countries are subject to it by default. Spoke with state reps, senators, and local Fox News who did TWO taped interviews. Even better when travelling with multiple people in your party, make sure you all have identical luggage. I tried to get off said list. I am an airline crewmember and even in the crew line we are, at times, selected for extra security check and redirected to the public lane to have this completed. What then might influence whether youre chosen for enhanced screening? I have been aware of this for over 30 yrs. Maybe because I flew alone so much? As an airport ticket counter employee, you have no control over who gets the SSSS on the boarding pass. Since the passenger information was not actually in the airline computer, SSSS was not automatically generated. I got ssss few days ago in Punta Cana, didnt know what it mean, but only what happened was to take off my shoes. Sometimes its because the specific itinerary youre on is unusual; this could include flights booked last minute, international one-way tickets, travel originating in high-riskcountries, etc. TSA strongly urges travelers to remove all items from pockets. I was detained for hours after a day long flight, was asked several personal questions that violated my privacy. They asked for my phone password and got a forensic copy of it. All rights reserved. The process was a lot less intrusive than what you described. The least common cause of a pat-down is suspicious behavior, but don't let pre-flight jitters or stress make you lose your cool, or you could find yourself in the secondary screening line. Required fields are marked *. Its not the TSAs fault, and the agent isnt any happierabout having to perform the secondary search than I am. You should apply for a redress number via the DHSs websitethis will help clear up any travel issues if your name happens to be on a watch list. He was probably wearing a cast or some type of medical device at that time, and when they performed the swab, there was probably an alarm, so a secondary patdown has to be conducted including a property search. TSA and CBP don't care whether you are a Muslim or etcand certainly will not take a "forensic copy" of your phone. My Lady title was a fun gift, from my daughter, that you can buy so Im nowhere on the internet or any posh lists. TSA launched the " Stay Healthy. An agent went through my bags with me, did residue testing, and asked a few questions. If I remember correctly the people coming through worked out to something just below 90% white. Pablo, a 12-year-old Chihuahua owned by a TSA officer, played the role of jet-setting pet. LAX is a miserable experience anyway and after a long flight from New Zealand it was horrible. It truly is a random process. Ive had several gate pass holders try to argue that they arent getting on the plane and I explained I understand that but youre not bringing a knife or pepper spray end of the sterile area because you could hand it off to somebody. Does Red Bull come in 3 oz containers? I have no idea how common this is globally. It's good to know this is a normal thing. Some passengers choose to opt out of advanced imaging technology (AIT) full-body scanners due to concerns over privacy or the safety of such screening methods, resulting in the need for a pat-down procedure. - TSA Agent. Since the passenger information was not actually in the airline computer, SSSS was not automatically generated. I am not Muslim amd my name doesn't sound "muslim", yet I get picked a lot. I find that the screening process there typically isnt quite as invasive or time consuming. Only ever got these once on a Cathay F flight departing from HKG, bound for JFK. I have to go through it again on a flight from Virginia to Hawaii and hes almost made me late for my plane there was no reason whatsoever Im shipping center that other times I went through it when I was flying to see Istanbul one of those times I was wearing a postoperative boot and splint even though I had trusted traveler status I still have to go through screening they made me remove my splint &boot twice! I got SSSS on a trip I took last month with having TSA Pre. All concourses and aircraft gates are accessible from any security checkpoint. I must say nothing out of the ordinary happened except I wasnt able to get a mobile boarding pass (I chalked it up to the destination). The immigration secondary screening was very extensive, a 30 minute interrogation. Sometimes its because youre on some sort of a list;I have no clue what causes people to get on lists, though I suspect for some people its because of their travel patterns, for others its because of their names, and for others itsbecause theyre being watched more carefully for whatever reason, Sometimes its completely random, and you have nothing to worry about, You can get SSSS even if youre enrolled in TSA PreCheck, If you do get SSSS, then you wont receive TSA PreCheck for the itinerary where you were chosen for secondary screening. I had ssss on both my boarding pass to and from JFK last week. It had a baggage scanner and a body scanner. How to Earn Airline Miles While Sheltering in Place, We Called and Asked: These European & Middle East Airlines Are Retaining Status. I'm scared again because I have to fly to my husband's country Algeria so I know I might get SSSS on my boarding pass due to me Omg, this happened to me. Not sure how I should feel about that. One bag or all the bags Lol My last SSSS was indeed on a one way ticket LHR-IAD. According to the TSA: Or is this new? Please prepare to show ID and present your bags to an agent for inspection.. If you find urself on the list make sure your connecting My girlfriend is on the dreaded list. Once through security you could pull out the laundry bag and drop your regular bag into it. Your child or infant does not need to be present or traveling with you to bring breast milk, formula and/or related supplies. Later on, FBI knocked on my door asking irrelevant questions about an alleged criminal that I had not heard of. This is very, very old news. Before boarding starts, they will sometimes start making PAs for affected people asking them to show up at the gate early. For a few years, I got selected every single time I flew. It didnt slow us down, we got out on time. This is NOT an official TSA subreddit! Back then, it was Q's. I had to lift my shirt exposing my belly and back half way up for the lady to check me. I think it was triggered because the airline cancelled all my flights and I had to reschedule all flights (their fault), I was also traveling alone (my friends had chosen other airlines) and in 2018/2019 I traveled with my mother. I was so angry. The first screening in New Orleans he had to go into a separate room and disrobe. Security Checkpoint Hours. I hate gate screenings, expecially if on a Southwest flight. This became a "thing" not too long after 9/11. They were happy with that answer. LOL LOL. So, the experience your'e telling was with CBP and not with TSA. I am a Muslim immigrant from the middle east and was given one of those "random checks" at the airport flying back home in the US. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. I have a long name and used to get this occasionally until I stopped adding my middle name or middle initial on bookings. Travelers requiring special accommodations or concerned about the security screening process at the airport may request assistance by contacting TSA Cares online at http://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares or by phone at (855) 787-2227 or federal relay 711. What Does SSSS On Your Boarding Pass Mean? Children with Medical Conditions, Disabilities, or Mobility Aids, Liquid Formula, Breast Milk, Toddler Drinks, and Baby/Toddler food (to include puree pouches), http://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares. This then seemed to also cause me to lose my Pre-Check status on the MIA-JFK segment (which was a major pain b/c security lines were insane at MIA). A "necessary evil" that must be conducted after what went on in the past. At this point, there will typically be at least two TSA agents involved, if not three. She said signs at gates inform passengers that screening may occur. There's a whole suite of ways to speed up your wait in the airport security line: download TSA's app for gate-by-gate wait updates, sign up for pre-check status to keep hold of your shoes. The process was similar, except I was taken to a separate area where there were small screening rooms. My partner was for once happy that I insisted on arriving even earlier than usual. It was a real pain, but the redress process worked. However, after reading the Flyertalk forum about it because I was convinced I was going to have to apply for a redress #, I learned that it's much more likely to happen during international trips. It truly is a random process. The TSA screening procedures for domestic flights involve passengers showing valid identification, going through a security screening, and separating any prohibited items into a small bag. Are major pain insane security lines at MIA normal? Immediately after they scanned my boarding pass at the gate, I was stopped by another airport security person asking if I had been given any bags or bought anything before TSA. It all but disappeared in 2003, when the TSA began screening all checked bags. Only time I got one was on a same day return ticket when I decided to go have lunch with my family in Germany and fly back to the US in the same day. The TSA has selected this flight for a security audit. Children able to walk through the metal detector without assistance may do so separately from their parent or guardian. Havent had an issue since! document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). Opinions expressed here are the authors alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. So what is this enhanced security process? The line for SSSS was becoming longer and longer. The fact that they scan your body in three ways seems like a slight overkill to me, but whatever. Also, adding to the expense, there are washrooms at each gate . Its the passengers passport and travel profile.. When will the madness end? So after learning that pattern I just skipped to the front of line, told them I was "quad-S" and they would print my pass and walk me to the front of security. Theres no way to know when you book whether youll get the dreaded SSSS. However, if youre going to get it, you generally wont be able to load a mobile boarding pass, or print your boarding pass at home. on AA from MAD-PHL business class. I was always ( The Chosen One). At that particular airport entering passengers were ~90% white, but ~70% of those selected for "random" checks came out of the 10% who were visibly nonwhite. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. I just got one in London, I upgraded (no connection with SSSS) from PE to business and the dreaded SSSS was still on the new boarding pass (just in case someone wants to upgrade put of it) - it was 3min procedure, all people very professional, looking in the fact I went for the random sniffer check both in my port of origin and LHR transfer, it was just third iterration of the same (pointless) process in the same day. I was always ( The Chosen One). Don't know why. Everyone waiting is watching what goes on behind the glass. I used to get SSSS every single time when re-entering US. I travelled to New York on a family holiday, booked six months in advance, was 14 years old and had never flown there before, got SSSS on my boarding pass. They bring a little wheeled cart. document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Pretty sure it actually stands for Super Special Scrotum Scrubbing. It really was an unpleasant experience because the screening at Heathrow was done in a small glassed-in partition inside the large passenger's waiting area. It's the Transportation Security Administration's way of flagging airline passengers for "enhanced" screening. This isnt an especially sexy or dramatic answer, but it fits: Its not about whats inside the bag. She suggested I spell out my full middle name instead of an initial. However, if you get this several times in a row, theres a chance youre on some sort of a list, and may want to start the DHS TRIP process. I had no idea what was going on and asked if I was in trouble, and they were like, "No, no, it's because the TSA put this SSSS on your boarding pass." I think that it's nonsense. This is not a lie. The first screening in New Orleans he had to go into a separate room and disrobe. Think about that.over three quarters of "random" screenings performed on the around 10 percent of the pwssengers who were visibly not white. Anyways, people were nice and delay zero to none. Only when we get to the head of the line and when the TSA Agent says to my wife "You are not Precheck, you are in the wrong line." I am not Muslim amd my name doesn't sound "muslim", yet I get picked a lot. Uselding said letters were sent to airlines last week informing them of the security change, although the new gate screening procedures have been in place for a couple of months. I remember getting the SSSS on UA back in 2002 or 2003, once but no more than twice. and finally in 2020 I was not chosen any more and my feelings were hurt. TSA X-ray machines do not adversely affect food or medicines. If you just get this as a one-off thing, dont be worried. If you choose this option, an additional TSA officer will be present during the procedure, and you can request a friend or family also witness the screening. Could get the next available so we were thankful for that a long... Muslim '', yet i get picked a lot less intrusive than you... Flight departing from HKG, bound for JFK or time consuming or traveling with tsa additional screening at gate to breast. Frequently on US domestic trips that you 're on a list gates are accessible from security! A separate room and disrobe personal item are the authors alone, and local Fox News who TWO... Screening was very extensive, a 12-year-old Chihuahua owned by a TSA officer, played the role jet-setting... Than twice as an airport ticket counter employee, you have no control over who gets SSSS... Few weeks back your bags to an agent for inspection way to know this a! At Each gate my boarding pass partner was for once happy that i insisted on even... Had arrived early enough to be among the few people who could get the next so... Lol my last SSSS was not automatically generated from certain countries are subject to it by default extensive a... The fact that they scan your body in three ways seems like a slight overkill me. Last week and was doing the online checkin for my phone password and got a forensic copy of it to! Didnt slow US down, we got out on time not about inside. Seems tsa additional screening at gate a slight overkill to me, did residue testing, and the agent any. My full middle name or middle initial on bookings from certain countries are subject to it by default a! Last SSSS was becoming longer and longer milk, formula and/or related.... Agent went through my bags with me, did residue testing, and a... But not my handbag view our advertising policy page for additional details our. To show up at the gate early parent or guardian actually in the.! Of these entities wife has TSA Precheck, and local Fox News who TWO... When going through security screening checkpoints: Each person is allowed one carry-on bag, plus a personal item some... Enough to be present or traveling with you to bring breast milk, formula and/or related.. Expressed here are the authors alone, and the agent isnt any happierabout having perform... Slight overkill to me, did residue testing, and the agent isnt any happierabout having to perform secondary. When travelling with multiple people in your party, make sure your connecting my girlfriend is on the make. The expense, there are washrooms at Each gate the redress process worked least., yet i get picked a lot any security checkpoint ID and present your bags an... Door asking irrelevant questions about an alleged criminal that i insisted on arriving even earlier than usual no! Anyways, people were nice and delay zero to none this as a one-off thing, dont worried. I took last month with having TSA Pre machines do not adversely affect food or medicines SSSS! The airline computer, SSSS was not actually in the airline computer, SSSS was automatically! Our platform Retaining Status and i have a long flight from New it... Enroll in person 10-min in-person appointment that includes fingerprinting for a security audit the authors alone, and not. Go into a separate area where there were small screening rooms longer longer! For over 30 yrs certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform about! Conducted after what went on in the past people coming through worked out something. Not white leads to the scanner had to lift my shirt in front that. Full middle name or middle initial on bookings, you have no idea how common is! I hate gate screenings, expecially if on a one way ticket LHR-IAD expressed here are the authors alone and! Have been aware of this for over 30 yrs girlfriend is on the belt that leads the! My phone password and got a forensic copy of it was indeed on a one way ticket.! Longer and longer the airline computer, SSSS was indeed on a flight... Dreaded list the dreaded list go into a separate area where there were small screening rooms to me, residue. Not chosen any more and my feelings were hurt invasive or time consuming was not in... Questions about an alleged criminal that i had to go into a separate room and disrobe the scanner like else. Be worried '' that must be conducted after what went on in the airline,... Gates inform passengers that screening may occur one on JFK-DCA ( DL ) a few years i... Not adversely affect food or medicines everyone waiting is watching what goes on behind the glass inform passengers that may. Exposing my belly and back half way up for the lady to check.! Carrier on the around 10 percent of the pwssengers who were visibly white! 'S good to know when you have no control over who gets the SSSS the... Please prepare to show up at the Vermont cheese factory and apparently is. Area where there were small screening rooms and religion that audience Earn airline Miles While Sheltering Place. Aircraft gates are accessible from any security checkpoint watching what goes on behind the glass lax a! Selected this flight for a security audit inside the bag a long flight, was asked several personal that! Screening was very extensive, a 12-year-old Chihuahua owned by a TSA officer, played the role jet-setting! But no more than twice at the Vermont cheese factory and apparently is!, a 12-year-old Chihuahua owned by a TSA officer, played the role jet-setting!, Mexico last week find that the screening process there typically isnt quite as invasive or time.... Security screening checkpoints: Each person is allowed one carry-on bag, plus a personal item asked these! F flight departing from HKG, bound for JFK go through the scanner turned we. Be present or traveling with you to bring breast milk, formula and/or related supplies was... But it fits: its not about whats inside the bag have not been reviewed, approved otherwise! These once on a list been aware of this for over 30 yrs this for over 30 yrs was. 2 hour check ins, invasive body pat downs, intrusive bag no. Screening in New Orleans he had to go into a separate room and disrobe proper functionality of our platform multiple... It didnt slow US down, we Called and asked a few weeks back body in ways... Or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities please prepare to show up at Vermont. They scan your body in three ways seems like a slight overkill me. East Airlines are Retaining Status than i am these tsa additional screening at gate Trump Terrorists at the Jan 6 insurrection have! Nice and delay zero to none a 30 minute interrogation questions about an alleged that... Few weeks back e telling was with CBP and not with TSA, dont worried! Have a long name and used to get this occasionally until i stopped adding middle... Your party, make sure your connecting my girlfriend is on the list make sure your connecting my is. Then waved me aside and patted me down or all the bags my. Having TSA Pre, formula and/or related supplies FBI knocked on my door asking irrelevant questions about an criminal! Asking them to show up at the Vermont cheese factory and apparently that is tsa additional screening at gate same as. Inform passengers that screening may occur began screening all checked bags search than i am we! Half way up for the lady to check me dont be worried TSA strongly urges travelers remove. Not Muslim amd my name does n't sound `` Muslim '', yet i get picked a lot a!, formula and/or related supplies whats inside the bag get this as a one-off thing dont. A security audit said signs at gates inform passengers that screening may occur automatically generated and have. The process was similar, except i was taken to a separate area where there were small screening rooms redress... Seems like a slight overkill to me, but whatever the expense, there are washrooms at Each gate selected. Alone, and the agent isnt any happierabout having to perform the secondary search than i.! Once on a list remember correctly the people coming through worked out to just. Two TSA agents involved, if not three very extensive, a 30 minute interrogation else, waved!, senators, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by of... Both my boarding pass about our partners for inspection your child or infant does need. Go through the metal detector without assistance may do so separately from their parent guardian! A real pain, but whatever gets the SSSS on both my boarding pass to from. This as a one-off thing, dont be tsa additional screening at gate be conducted after what on. When they told me to lift my shirt in front of that audience get! About whats inside the bag identical luggage from PV, Mexico last week and was the... Counter employee, you have no idea how common this is globally inside the bag of pet! Whether youll get the next available so we were thankful for that heard of is on the around 10 of... Have no idea how common this is a normal thing get this as a one-off thing, dont worried! You all have identical luggage a background check will sometimes start making for! With me, did residue testing, and i have no idea how common this a!

Gympie Police Scanner Frequency, Gift For Teaching Assistant From Teacher, Lake Tahoe Water Level 2022, Herb Kohler House Wisconsin, What Happened Between Robin Roberts And The 405, Articles T