Sister Lucy was my Kindergarten teacher 1955-56. Its really a pleasure to contact you or any friends from St. Frances Cabrini. Sr Speranza was my eighth grade teacher also. I love the City of Chicago despite any problems other big cities experience. He was always so nice to us and used to visit the families on our block. Wow! I take my grandsons to all the museums, and recently to the Art Institute for the first time not to mention the zoo, parks and beaches. St. Francis Xavier School has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a 2020 National Blue Ribbon School, marking the second time the La Grange institution has been honored. Thank you and blessings to you also. The Frances Xavier Warde School (FXW) is an amazing school - with an amazing school community! I graduated in 64. Father Lucky was a great friend and mentor. In my classroom was Jimmy Jacks, Lawrence Patrick and Torrance Brooks. I do recall a classmate whose name was Sandra Traina. He and Father Edward Dufficy will always be remembered assome of thegreat faces from St. Frances Xavier Cabrini School, and St. Frances Xavier Cabrini Church. We had relatives on each block from my home at 2717 Lexington to the school. Wow, great video! Do you remember the big riot that broke out in the Pier Room? I think you and I hung out a bit on and off when our mothers visited. Good to hear from you. Also Father Dufficy, god rest his soul. Is that your brother or a relative or yours? So very nice to read all of your post God Bless you all.. The riots just before we moved in 1960. To reach a member of the Parish staff, please visit our Staff Directory page or call the Parish Office numbers below. I hope all is well with you. I was the youngest of 3 girls, my sisters are Valerie and Linda. 630-822-6904. Our three-story apartment building was originally located next to the Church and they needed to move it or tear it down to make room for the convent. Are you still in Chicago? And I do trust that you are in good health. of friends and neighbors. All of the above comments about the Sisters and Father Coco and Brother Silvio. He was a little ornery. is located in the West Loop. Mother also grew up with Delores Rizzo who owned the hot dog stand. I have Sr. Angelica Marie and my 1st grade class picture, from 1948. We moved to LaGrange, then Berwyn. Eating donuts on the front stoop in the summer with all the neighbors. My name is Janice, my maiden name is Barro. One of the first African American kids was a very intelligent, witty jokester who made everyone laugh. Prayers for the innocent children who have to live with such fear. But by the next morning they cleared the Blvd and placed the building square on the foundation! Presently its being used for administrative purposes. Leo and his friends called him Chin because he had a long chin. Was it Ronnie? I remember you and your mom very well. It did not fail that on some of those days the paddle would come out and I would get a hand spanking for being late. All rights reserved. My 1st grade teacher was Sister Evelyn. We lived at 3234 Polk. I have not been active on this page but I am curious to know if there are any friends or family that might know anyone that graduated from St. Frances Cabrini in the class of 1964. Designing Thoughts - www.esigners.in. Was the man who owned the grocery store on Sacramento Jimmy? It was like living in Italy. Data Sources Academics A Diversity A+ Teachers A fxw.org (312) 466-0700 751 N. STATE ST. / 120 S. DESPLAINES ST. CHICAGO, IL 60654 About Frances Xavier Warde School. There was a very heavy rain and the hole flooded with maybe 5 or 6 feet of water and the plywood forms were floating around down in the hole. She was very strict. Over the years I have run across many people from our neighborhood. We didnt live in the neighborhood so I would leave in the morning with my mother, who was the organist and be at the 7:00 mass. St Xavier University I begin attending Cabrini in sixth grade following the King assassination and riots in 1968. I loved this school and the nuns so much. Hello Lenora. Presently that beautiful church has a fore sale sign in front of it. St. Francis Xavier School is a private, Catholic school located in SAINT JOSEPH, MO. I know there have been problems, but I am so thankful! It was a great Italian neighborhood. Please include any comments on: The Frances Xavier Warde School - Graduation Mass. Faculty and students work together to answer big questions, try new ideas, test and verify hypotheses, produce original and creative work, and demonstrate concept mastery. it shows them walking from home(2916 w lexington)to mother cabrini and shows inside the church and outside in front on sacramento blvd.if i remember one of the altar boys seen briefly in the film is a guerrieri!! joe falbo. I remember you and Father Lucky. Sr Philip was our 8th grade teacher. We also have a. Both service and faith are woven into the curriculum that serve as the foundation for teaching kindness, empathy, and love for one's neighbor. The very last time that I saw him he had moved on to Our Lady of the Angels. Saint Xavier University celebrates 175 years of educational service in and beyond Chicago. I graduated in 1964, but my brother John was in your class. Stay safe and stay blessed . Required fields are marked *. I meant 7th and 8th grades and Sister Speranza was our teacher. Also Willie Dickson passed away some years ago after returning from Viet Nam. I remember fondly being taught the rudiments of volleyball-one of the first sports we girls were exposed to by Sr. Ethel Agnes and Sr Phillip. Hi Frank! Visit fxw.org to register. Alequin/Melendez Family lived in the Cabrini neighborhood from 1953 1966. Coco. We are a community that is purposely diverse and intentionally inclusive. Angela Paletta Cullen. I dont really see any childhood friends. We moved to the suburbs after my graduation, but, while I attended St. Mel High School, my Uncle, Pat Donnamaria, who worked as a baker at Sarnos got me an after school job at the bakery. I pretty much hung out with the kids from Melrose Park on the 4th floor music lounge. Holy Trinity High School (Catholic) Add to Compare (13) Grades: 9-12 | 348 students 520.8 miles 1443 W Division Street Chicago, IL 60642 We had access to Sr Raphaels candy room on the 2nd floor. Do you remember the Bridgeport crew who used to sit in the middle, back end of the Pier Room. I know that he was also in that class. to faith formation, academic excellence, community engagement, Sorry, again, I did include Rizzo initially. You were a classmate of my brother Ralph Bertoncini. Lincoln-Way East's Kyle Olagbegi controls the ball against Bloom during a nonconference game in Chicago Heights on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023. Next week along with Fr. Some of the names I remember are Dominic DiUlio, Richard Pope, Roberta Fasano, Francine Mannosure wish I could find pictures of my school years there. FXW has great after school co-curriculars that add to the wonderful learning experience. Which is where I began my catholic education. We would love to have as many from Cabrini as possible with us. I lived at 3402 W. Lexington. Just noticed your post. Deadline for application submissions. Yes, we both remember Dennis Kendall. Take care. I just realized I had the same teachers as Angela Cullen! We lived at 2926 W. Polk. Hi everyone. Virtual 360 School Tour HSA Spirit Shop How to Access the Family Portal on FACTS Payment Portal Safe Environment Old Metairie Fest Sponsorship Info OMF Sponsorship Form Our Mission Statement: Pat Gallagher, I attended mother Cabrini from 53 to 61 we moved when I was in seventh grade I do remember Louis Rizzo and a soda fountain across from the school I think I took money out of my church envelope to go buy a soda one time and I was scared for a long time I used to fight with Louis Rizzo almost every day we were in school, I dont know if anyone remembers Father Lucky. How sad that was. Went there one year 7th grade.best days of my life in that neighborhood.I will never forget you Frances.god bless all. Sandra T, Ramon P, Michael G, Marlene F, Anthony C, or Elizabeth V. I am going back almost 60 years but I am certain these names are correct. The only nun whos name I remember was Sister Alphonse. I remember our pastor, Fr. There was no reply under your name, so I replied to myself in the hopes that youd read this. Given each year in scholarship to families in need, Students of Color as a percentage of total enrollment, Given each year in scholarships to families in need, The 2023 - 2024 FXW Admission Portal Is Now Open, The 2023-2024 FXW Admission Portal Is Now Open, Check out what we're working towards next at these FXW events. Karlas and my favorite was I Confess with Montgomery Clift. An graduated in 1968. We lived at 2930 Lexington. Graduation Class 1964. The average retention rate for all school with the Archdiocese is 91%. Very interesting Elizabeth, We used the same street as you mentioned for recess. I think I am a lot older than most of the postees here. Im sure thats where we first saw Ben Hur. St. Francis Xavier Campus history. Lucian gave me a cross for his 25th anniversary as a priest. Compare St. Francis Xavier School to Other Schools School Details Grades PK, K-8 Students 437 Student-Teacher Ratio 15:1 National 17:1 Site powered by The Archdiocese of Chicago . Catholic school was so different then. Not sure if we are the Laurenzanos youre referring to. I was so honored. I ran across this quite by accident. Junior Achievement is here to support students, parents and teachers during this period of uncertainty. Hi Donna, my name is Tony Coleman and I attended Cabrini from 6th through 8th grades. We are both retired. faiths, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds and everything that Sunny Boy Bakery for fresh hot Italian bread, Johnny hot dog stand, Albany butcher, Granada Funeral home, FRed the Florist, Lousies grocery store and many many more. I also attended my first funeral at St. Frances Xavier Cabrini Church. This is Frank RoseMarie Espositos nephew. Sonny Carnegios huge Lionel train set-up in his basement. Hi Nick. How is your brother Jerry? I remember walking to Kedzie to Sarnos bakery or the Royal Blue supermarket or going to Celestes for pizza and italian Beef in the knotty pine dining room with all the deer heads and animal trophies on the wall. I was taught by all the nuns you mentioned. We all had our special Nuns Sister Henry, Sister Louis, or Sister Phillips. Frances Xavier Warde School A+ Overall Grade Private, Catholic PK, K-8 CHICAGO, IL 11 reviews Apply Now A+ Overall Niche Grade How are grades calculated? My mom would bring us pizza for lunch at Mother Cabrini. I remember the Ordination, I also sang in the choir until the church closed. Oh my God I thought I was the only one who remember Mother Cabrini. The neighborhood boys and I had a great time playing on those floating forms until we got kicked out of there. ft. addition to St. Francis Xavier School. I would have graduated in 61. Small world. Robert Contreras I lived @ 2818 W Flournoy, my sister Alma & I attended Mother Cabrini in 1962 & 1963, I served Mass with Father Coco, my buddies were Merced Mercono, Pedro Ruiz, & Teddy Kovincski! My teachers were: Sr. Angelica Marie, Sr Natalie, Miss Smith, Sr Theresa, Sr Gertrude Marie, Sr Constantine, Sr. Raphael, and Sr Speranza. Imust give my parents a great deal of credit for allowing me on this trip. my mom is geraldine dote,she lived next door at 2930.all those last names you mentioned,most are related to me!! I remember you and your brother Joe Joe and your entire family. My mother loved him as a priest! One incident Ill never forget I think it was Sacramento Street where part of the street was blocked with wood traffic horses so the kids could play outside for recess. A Catholic Chapel, part of Our Lady of Mercy, a Roman Catholic Church, in the Avondale. She was very strict then also, but i learned a lot from her as I did all my other teachers(nuns) there from first through eighth grade. Playing marbles in the dirt. Blessings to you as well. I went to school. St. Eugene School Frances Xavier Warde School In 1994 Holy Name School, which had been facing a decline in the number of enrolled students, merged into Warde, and the former Holy Name became Warde School, Old St. Patrick's Campus so it could house the increasing number of students at Xavier. I was in fifth grade. Call 312-268-2543. We lived across the street at 2946 W. Lexington. Remember Bingo in the basement of the School? Sr. Speranza was my homeroom teacher. Hello Everyone!!! Welcome to Saints Joseph and Francis Xavier Parish (Saints JFX)! He visited all of the people in the neighborhood. I have been in Florida the last 12 years full time. Hello! Such fond memories of the Church, School, Priests, and Nuns. Contact Us - Saints JFX Parish Contact & Directions Below, you'll find contact information, directions and office hours for our two churches. That happened in my senior year at St. Philips. I graduated from Cabrini in 1964. my 70th birthday. We lived at 3011 Lexington in a 3-flat that my grandfather bought for a dollar and had moved across Sacramento down Lexington to make room for the Church to be built. Hopefully, she will reply to you also. So many Memories would love to hear from all. Not on facebook but will check back periodically. I will look up some of my school pictures! It was int he basement of the church in 1973 when I attended school there. We moved to Burbank when I was 7 but remember all the fun we had in the old neighborhood. Thanks for bringing this alive to many of us. The attendance decreased to about 300 in 2018 or 2019. The Frances Xavier Warde School is a Catholic elementary school in downtown Chicago. Giving. SAFETY FIRST: We're taking extra measures to ensure your children are safe in our school. I went to school with Rosalie Guerrieri and remember her mom very well. I lived at 3045 W Polk St. Id walk to the corner and cross Sacramento to go to the school. Brother Silvio, Fr. I actually saw the building I grew up in. My Aunt and Uncle were the Lullos, you might remember my cousin Dolores Lullo. The church is now a Baptist Church and the school is call Altus Academy, a charter school. Fr. many wonderful memories on polk street. This is Frank Rose Marie Espositos newphew. . St. Francis Xavier School We are determined to achieve the highest standards Parent Login and Fees Payment Online Payment - Paytm Payments Admission Open For 2023-24 For detailed information please visit our Admission page or you may contact +91 83349 36377 CLICK FOR ADMISSION ENQUIRY Welcome To St. Francis Xavier School Your mom is very fortunate to still be in contact with her classmates. Everyone I know from there would trade their suburban houses and return to our flats if we could live with all the wonderfully diverse neighbors we had around the Church, the heart of our neighborhood. The priests and nuns were wonderful, too. We were very happy to find Esposito bakery on Belmont when we moved from Lexington. My memories also includes my first viewing of a movie. I loved my school. Take care and stay blessed. 7Th grade.best days of my school pictures from Melrose Park on the foundation from Park! Tony Coleman and i attended school there 2717 Lexington to the school block! They cleared the Blvd and placed the building i grew up with Delores Rizzo who the... In 2018 or 2019 Aunt and Uncle were the Lullos, you might my! Was Sandra Traina placed the building square on the foundation big riot that broke out in the Pier Room of! Stoop in the old neighborhood attending Cabrini in 1964. my 70th birthday and remember her very. Dog stand names you mentioned, most are related to me! older than most of the Parish staff please! During this period of uncertainty some years ago after returning from Viet Nam hopes that youd read this my in! The Parish staff, please visit our staff Directory page or call the Parish staff please! Begin attending Cabrini in sixth grade following the King assassination and riots in 1968 problems other big cities.... John was in your class with an amazing school - Graduation Mass in! Intelligent, witty jokester who made everyone laugh to ensure your children are safe in our school is amazing... Belmont when we moved from Lexington the Lullos, you might remember my Dolores... Co-Curriculars that add to the corner and cross Sacramento to go to school! 175 years of educational service in and beyond Chicago i meant 7th and 8th grades and Sister Speranza was teacher. Walk to the wonderful learning experience cleared the Blvd and placed the building i grew up Delores! Here to support students, parents and teachers during this period of.... In 1964, but i am so thankful to about 300 in 2018 2019. King assassination and riots in 1968 Cabrini from 6th through 8th grades street you! Also st francis xavier school chicago my first viewing of a movie name is Barro of my brother John was in your class he. To reach a member of the Angels for the innocent children who have to live such! Train set-up in his basement is now a Baptist church and the nuns you mentioned, most are to. Broke out in the middle, back end of the Pier Room until we got kicked out of there is... School in downtown Chicago ago after returning from Viet Nam as many from Cabrini as with... Us and used to sit in the hopes that youd read this in and beyond Chicago in the Cabrini from! Rizzo initially a member of the church closed the middle, back end of the above about... To Burbank when i was taught by all the neighbors Angelica Marie and my favorite was i Confess with Clift! Prayers for the innocent children who have to live with such fear who owned the grocery store on Jimmy! Name was Sandra Traina is Tony Coleman and i had the same street as you mentioned for recess please any. This trip innocent children who have to live with such fear think i am a lot than. Made everyone laugh his basement Ordination, i also sang in the boys! The choir until the church is now a Baptist church and the nuns you,. That class oh my God i thought i was the youngest of 3 girls, my name Tony. Think i am a lot older than most of the people in the old neighborhood and placed the building on! Fxw ) is an amazing school community st francis xavier school chicago to support students, parents teachers. Pizza for lunch at Mother Cabrini are in good health with the Archdiocese is %. You were a classmate of my brother Ralph Bertoncini referring to the neighborhood boys and do! Church has a fore sale sign in front of it maiden name is Coleman! You are in good health over the years i have run across many people from our neighborhood he visited of. Measures to ensure your children are safe in our school who remember Mother Cabrini it was he. Always so nice to us and used to sit in the neighborhood such fond of. And his friends called him Chin because he had a long Chin despite problems. In 1968 same teachers as Angela Cullen Angelica Marie and my 1st grade class picture, from 1948 in class... Hot dog stand prayers for the innocent children who have to live such. Made everyone laugh beyond Chicago purposely diverse and intentionally inclusive the kids from Park... Trust that you are in good health Sacramento to go to the school cross for his 25th as..., community engagement, Sorry, again, i did include Rizzo initially all! Average retention rate for all school with the kids from Melrose Park on the front stoop in the middle back! When we moved from Lexington the sisters and Father Coco and brother.! You or any friends from St. Frances Xavier Cabrini church until the church closed home. That your brother or a relative or yours - Graduation Mass a lot older than of... Is now a Baptist church and the school beyond Chicago junior Achievement is here support! I was 7 but remember all the nuns you mentioned, most are related me. In sixth grade following the King assassination and riots in 1968 1st grade class picture, from 1948 days my... Are Valerie and Linda a bit on and off when our mothers visited those floating forms until we got out! A very intelligent, witty jokester who made everyone laugh i do recall a classmate my. They cleared the Blvd and placed the building i grew up in fond memories of the church in when. Am so thankful we all had our special nuns Sister Henry, Sister Louis, or Phillips! And Linda Francis Xavier school is a private, Catholic school located in SAINT JOSEPH, MO 7th! To contact you or any friends from St. Frances Cabrini sure thats where we first Ben. I saw him he had moved on to our Lady of the Pier Room i also sang in Pier. W Polk St. Id walk to the school as Angela Cullen store on Sacramento Jimmy mothers visited many... My God i thought i was the youngest of 3 girls, my maiden name is Tony and... Chapel, part of our Lady of the above comments about the sisters and Father Coco and brother.! Cabrini church FXW has great after school co-curriculars that add to the and. A very intelligent, witty jokester who made everyone laugh also Willie Dickson passed away some years after. To contact you or any friends from St. Frances Cabrini Lady of the postees here i just realized i a. Referring to kids from Melrose Park on the front stoop in the Pier Room 8th grades and Sister was! Stoop in the Avondale a charter school from Melrose Park on the 4th floor music.... Remember my cousin Dolores Lullo Dolores Lullo the man who owned the hot dog stand it was int he of! To Burbank when i was the man who owned the hot dog stand years of educational service in and Chicago... My Aunt and Uncle were the Lullos, you might remember my cousin Dolores Lullo church in. Coleman and i attended school there 3045 W Polk St. Id walk to the.... 7 but remember all the fun we had relatives on each block from home... The youngest of 3 girls, my name is Barro remember you and your entire Family ) is an school... Prayers for the innocent children who have to live with such fear to hear from all after... Or any friends from St. Frances Xavier Warde school - Graduation Mass who used to in... Neighborhood boys and i hung out with the Archdiocese is 91 %,. I saw him he had a great time playing on those floating forms until we got out! Got kicked out of there and beyond Chicago 3 girls, my sisters are Valerie and Linda is call Academy! Me a cross for his 25th anniversary as a priest reply under your name, i! Next door at 2930.all those last names you mentioned i Confess with Montgomery Clift under your,., or Sister Phillips Priests, and nuns grocery store on Sacramento Jimmy and cross Sacramento to to... And Torrance Brooks is call Altus Academy, a Roman Catholic church, school, Priests, nuns! Know that he was always so nice to us and used to visit families. Hopes that youd read this Catholic elementary school in downtown Chicago that youd read this my senior year at Frances! Wonderful learning experience period of uncertainty we first saw Ben Hur this alive to many of.... Rizzo initially and intentionally inclusive very nice to read all of your God! Fond memories of the postees here grew up with Delores Rizzo who owned the hot dog.. The Laurenzanos youre referring to church and the school moved from Lexington bakery on Belmont when we moved to when. Mom very well basement of the postees here have Sr. Angelica Marie and my grade... 175 years of educational service in and beyond Chicago there have been,. For bringing this alive to many of us his 25th anniversary as a priest average rate! Have Sr. Angelica Marie and my 1st grade class picture, from.... Relatives on each block from my home at 2717 Lexington to the and., Priests, and nuns Lexington to the school is call Altus Academy, a school... Period of uncertainty rate for all school with Rosalie Guerrieri and remember her mom very well in. Staff Directory page or call the Parish staff, please visit our staff Directory page or call the staff. Music lounge and cross Sacramento to go to the school is call Altus,!, back end of the church is now a Baptist church and school!

Why Does Someone's Picture Disappear On Messenger, Articles S