It only costs a donation and just remember you are off-the-beaten path Maui so dont expect much. Also you can't enter the Park to hike the Pipiwai Trail until 9 am. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-114353082', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Maui to start the RTH? They all flow directly into each other, but they have their own mile markers, which are crucial navigation points on this beautiful rainforest drive. A thirty something adventure seeking, gin loving, sun chasing, temple searching, bikini wearing, outdoor enthusiast who is based on Maui and writes about Hawaii and her adventures abroad. Re: Road to Hana - ACTUALLY dangerous or just kind of scary? Since you are voiding your contract the rental agency will not come to help. It sounds a little more intense than it is. Parking can be bad later in the day, but this stop is worth it. It's long and if driven directly without stopping, it still takes 5 hours to drive. Need a coffee or fresh fruit after your refreshing waterfall plunge? It gets pretty windy! We can now offer our visitors 20 years of expertise on this beautifully scenic drive. UTAH Hanawi Falls is located right after Mile Marker 24 on the Road to Hana. And we have some questions that we're hoping you lovely folk can help answer: We're planning to drive from Kanapali Beach to Hana about 3pm on Aug 7th, to arrive around 6pm at our lodgings in Hana. Travel to or from the region of Hana to any other major population center takes several hours by car. If we just do this it seems the whole day will just be driving with no activities or beach. But is the Road to Hana any more or less dangerous than other roads in Hawaii, the Mainland, or anywhere else in the world? Top Pick! Then once they've reached their intended destination, they will turn around and drive back the way they came. I am a pretty low-risk driver with minimal experience driving through mountains. What are your fears and doubts? 22 Best Road to Hana stops Twin & Caveman Falls Huelo Lookout Road to Hana Rainbow eucalyptus trees Waikamoi Ridge Trail Ka Haku smoke shack Garden of Eden arboretum Haipua'ena Falls Honoman Bay lookout Ke'anae Arboretum Aunty Sandy's Wailua Valley State Wayside Park Upper Waikani Falls Upper Hanawi Falls Pi'ilanihale Heiau Road to Hana lava tubes It takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to complete depending how long you stop and take it in. Encourage them to take things easy and to explain themselves when driving. RtH has too much traffic and has been widened and or paved in most scary sections. Waves crash against the rocks in a magnificent spectacle, making for great photo ops," said Dhara from It's Not About The Miles. Best Stops on the Road to Hana The Hana Highway is a 64 mile long stretch of absolutely stunning highway on the east side of Maui connecting Kahului (where the airport is) to the town of Hana at the eastern tip of the island. Some more reasoned, I imagine people living in the Serengeti are very justifiably fearful of lions, and Bull elephants, Soldiers have a real and healthy fear of the enemy! This road is also part of the daily commute for Maui's residents, so drive with aloha to avoid any frustration. IDAHO What makes this drive so special? Please keep in mind that youll encounter challenging turns and narrow bridges along the way, so its important to exercise caution and take your time. And we have some questions that we're hoping you lovely folk can help answer: Skip it. Check out this view of a beautiful overlook of a gulch. We go into detail in the linked article, but, Spoiler alert! If you take care to drive the Hana Highway with normal precautions from Paia to Hana or Kipahulu, then the Road to Hana is safe. Mostly this stems from rumors (I like to call it an urban legend, hmm maybe Ill call it a jungle legend lol) about it being illegal to take rental cars back this way. You really should be more fearful driving to the airport or shipping in Walmart, are you going to buy an I Survived Wallmart Kahului?. That would allow you to pass through the most lush parts of the highway in the morning. There are large cliffs in places but they are all protected by guard rails. . It really is just better for everyone to pull over and just let less patient people past. And if you just want more details (more! The back road to Hana starts in Kula town about 15 minutes past Makawao, one of Mauis most charming towns. It connects the town of Hana with the city of Kahului. WHAT TO WEAR SNORKELING It is! The next morning we intend to head out early, around 7am to Pipwai trail at Haleakala, which is about a 1 hour drive, we think, from our lodgings near Nahiku. Minuses: The road becomes rough for portions and rental car companies say "you're on your . Paia is a small, laid back town on the Northshore of Maui. The Road to Hana is only 52 miles but the average speed 25 mph. Important Note* The first one and a half hour stretch of the back road to Hana is usually forbidden by rental car companies and is stated in the rental car agreements. ), read my reviews of staying at the Four Seasons and the Fairmont Kea Lani. Yes, if you drive straight from Paia to Hana, you might see less people at the spots near Hana, but by the time you start working your way back to Paia those spots are still going to crowded. So many people dont really plan their trip to Hana and end up starting out late in the day and just stopping wherever they see cars so those stops along the north shore are still going to have visitors all day long. The road is very comfortable for one car to drive on, the problem comes when you pass another car. The first being Alelele Falls which you can find on google maps here. So if you're interested in the Road to Hana, then you may also be interested in these top things around Maui: Waianapanapa State Park Nakalele Blowhole Lahaina Banyan Court Hookipa Beach Maui Ocean Center (Aquarium of Hawaii) Iao Valley State Monument Haleakala National Park If you havent already, you will soon understand why thisis a perfect spot for them. You just have to keep your sight lines open and watch for cars coming in the other direction. These falls are some of the best waterfalls that Maui has to offer. The second most dangerous road in the country, along with 17 others on the 100 Deadliest Roads in America list, is in Florida. More posts about where to stay on Maui: Trying to figure out where to stay on Maui? This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. The Road to Hana is also called the "Divorce Highway". Along this road, there are 620 curves (who counted all of those?) I'd leave Kaanapali by 1 to get to Hana by 6 and head for the airport by noon at the latest. Most people will drive the Road to Hana as an out-and-back, starting the day by driving past the town of Paia, and then drive to the town of Hana or the Kipahulu district of Haleakala National Park. One of the best places to view Hanawi Falls is from the Hanawi Falls Bridge. Getting Around Maui without a Car Guide to Mauis Public transportation, What Food to Eat in Hawaii? If the Road the Hana is proving scary, that Back route will scare the Bejebous out of you! What are you wanting to do west? The Road to Hana is a super windy road that goes from Paia (on the North Shore of Maui) to the little town of Hana (on the East Shore of Maui.) BADLANDS SD The back road to Hana conditions are as followed. People that make it all the way to Kipahulu are usually the ones that ask about turning back and retracing their path back through Hana and on to Paia or driving through (continuing clockwise around the island) the backside of the Road to Hana. We've been told the southern road is more dangerous in general but we've also been told that since we'd be driving on the outside on the northern road on our way back to the airport that it would be more nerve racking. HAWAII EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS The rainforest trail starts near the National park visitors center and takes you past 2 waterfall outlooks, an ancient banyan tree, through a magical bamboo forest and eventually to the awe inspiring 400 foot Waimoku Falls. I will say though, that while I have driven this in a Jeep, Ive also driven it in a sedan and a full size pickup. (Or, the "end" activities on this list CAN actually be on the road to Hana if you take the back road to Hana!) Google says its 47 mins but Im getting the idea google doesnt know how long these roads really take? But in general, I did not think the Road to Hana was dangerous or scary. You want to go back the way you came, most likely, rather than going around the back way. Unsubscribe at any time. Full Gas Tank - You most likely won't need a whole tank, but just in case. However, many people who do not get caught up in the hype head to the road and come away scarred with tales of doom and dread of a hells highway that is near impossible to drive! The main thing that makes people fear the road is reputation! 1. This towns contains the Ulupalakua Ranch Store. And heres my disclaimer: I am neither encouraging or discouraging you to make this drive. This is a tough and fairly common problem. MAUI ), this will be on your mind all day ruining the trip. Risks include tow trucks that take a long time and costs lots of money. But this doesn't stop many adrenaline junkies from taking on the route which separates Bolivia's capital, La Paz, and Coroico in the Yungas region. So, you will want to look into driving the back road to Hana further to see if you feel comfortable with it! FLORIDA, U.S. NATIONAL PARK SITES It was ok, not really our thing. Thanks for the great article, we read it AFTER our drive on the road to Hana today. NATIONAL LAKESHORES Most of the photos courtesy of Natalie Brown Photography. What makes it so dangerousIt's a road! Next up is Ulupalakua. You have tried and that is all anyone can ask, but if its too much head back. I have regretted not trying since we arrived home. Located at the extreme southeast of the island of Maui, the city of Hana is like another island. Before I go onif you want to read my other Road to Hana posts, you can find them here: MY favorite Road to Hana itinerary, tips for driving the Road to Hana, and where to stay in Hana (in case you decide you want to spend the night). Sipping pineapple wine is an unusual thing to do in Maui and is one of the best things to do Upcountry Maui although I recommend that you spend a separate day exploring as there are many cool things to do Upcountry. It was quite an experience with three kids in the back seat. *Update when I was here May 2021 during a weekday around noon they were closed. road to Hana. Read about my favorite luxury resorts, boutique hotels, honeymoon resorts, family friendly resorts, and condos (many under $100/night!). Malama Aina which means take care of the land. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-114352891', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Maui -- you are going to eat up most of your time driving. Thi, Sometimes you just gotta stop and smell thesunf, The Acropolis of Pergamon are well preserved ruins, Happy Sunday . More! The Highway is very popular, and the narrow. Quite a few people continue on past Hana to the Kipahulu District of Haleakala National Park where you'll find the Oheo Gulch (aka Seven Sacred Pools) and the Pipiwai Trailhead. Do this by picking up your trash and staying on the trail. Assuming due to COVID they have not opened back up yet or have very limited hours. It is a tough question to answer as if we accept this is an irrational fear it can be hard to put your finger on what exactly is the trigger! This is terribly unfortunate, The highway is really a real jewel in the already stunning Crown of Mauis natural beauty. You can drive the road to Hana yourself, or take a tour in a van . Everything we have said above is solely aimed at the section between Paia and Kipahula, beyond that, the road changes immeasurably! The area we grew up in, the rural High Peak District of the UK has hundreds of roads tighter, narrower, with more turns, more blind bends, bigger, more exposed drops, and are one lane for both directions for hundreds of miles. The problem is we all confront fears in a different way. I will say, the paved road is still pretty narrow and even though theres no drop off on either side, if you see a local (anyone really) coming to meet you, pull over as far as you can and stop where theres a good place because they will come BLAZING through. 'Death Road', Bolivia Officially known as North Yungas Road, this route usually goes by its more ominous moniker. Here they sell fresh fruits, smoothies and coffees all grown locally on their farm. And should you consider avoiding it for legitimate safety concerns? Yes, it is remote, but there are hundreds of people driving the road, day and night, you are not going to be alone and stranded, even if you have to stop in a cell black spot. The Road to Hana is not undiscovered anymore and there are just people everywhere. at stops along the Road to Hana and they wonder if they start in Kula and do a reverse loop around the island if theyll run into fewer crowds and get a head start on their must see list. The legendary road to Hna is only 52 miles from Kahului; however, the drive can take anywhere from two to four hours to complete since it's fraught with narrow one-lane bridges, hairpin turns and incredible . The Pools at O'heo. So if the Road is not particularly dangerous, or even that scary why does it have such a fearsome reputation, and why are so many terrified of the road? The Road to Hana is a 64 mile stretch of road that starts in Kahului and ends at Kpahulu. I'll add, no, the late afternoon shouldn't be an especially dangerous time to drive the road (but it will take longer than 2 hours from the start of the RTH, let alone Kaanapali); you absolutely don't need a 4X4 (I prefer smaller (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? In ancient times most of the Hawaiians lived in this area opposed to current day West Maui or South Maui. Fewer tourists lodge here than in other Maui locales, and in the morning it is quiet and peaceful. If you need road assistance it's cash costing $800-1200 if and when a tow truck comes. You are driving the Hana Highway to the town of Hana! So just drive the route thats going to give you the best overall experience and dont be worried about trying to be too strategic. And most of all, for the most part, speeds, are LOW! Best Time Of Year To Visit Maui Our guide To The Weather In Maui, Hawaii And When Is The Best Time To Visit. It is such a unique and wonderful Road through some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. Kipahulu is home to some of the Road to Hana's most famous stops from the Pools at O'heo (Seven Sacred Pools), Pipiwai Trail, and Waimoku Falls. Travel Tip: Since the roads are sketchy at points, some rental companies do not want you driving through this area of Maui. But lack of trust or just uncontrollable fear from the passenger seat is also not conducive to a good journey. Its a cumulative thing that adding in the fairly stressful driving conditions can tip people over the edge to the point the drive is just no longer fun. There are some spots that are popular with locals for camping and fishing, but I think those are best left unexplored by visitors unless youre taken there as a guest. Or someone from the rural US where roads amble on for hundreds of miles with barely a bend would find the almost endless snaking of the road completely daunting. A few of my favorite moments from the past year! Honestly, the 380 or 311 to the Airport are far more dangerous roads than the Hana highway and most accidents attributed to the Road to Hana are actually on the more densely populated Route 36 BEFORE the road to Hana starts properly. The first of the road to Hana stops you'll come to is Paia town. have no issue at all, but it is narrower, more exposed, and in places has no asphalt topcoat (Dirt Track). This will leave you with a deeper understanding and connection to Hawaii. But really, we want people to experience the road for themselves. Running from Kahului (or "where the airport is," as you might otherwise know it) to Hana on the east of Maui, the Hana Highway is a clifftop and a coastal road. This fear means many skip the highway and spend their time enjoying more sedate activities, like sitting by the pool. It also says its 2h40mins from OGG to Nahiku but Ive been told Id better give it 5 hours so Im getting that I should more or less double the amount of time Google maps suggests. For full transparency,I have sprinkled some affiliate links in this post. It wouldnt be fun to do that on the front side with all the traffic and narrow winding roads! If you're leaving from Kaanapali and planning on a one-hour stop en route, yes, 5 hours to Hana. This is the honey bee sanctuary. And then, most people will end the Road to Hana at Hana or Kipahulu. This is a great place to stop to fuel up with gas, grab a coffee or a hot meal. Ive written a ton of posts that will help. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-114353117', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');flight, especially if you're returning a car--the agriculture, baggage check, & TSA lines can easily take 2+ hours alone. Does the inside lane/outside lane play more into the safety of it than the road conditions themselves? So you are trying to figure out whether you should do a Road to Hana tour or if you should do the Road to Hana on your own! 8. This is one of the most dangerous places in Hawaii. The Shaka guide tours are great for independent explorers who want the freedom to explore on their own terms, but like to learn about the spots theyre visiting. Read more about the backside of Hana Here! Need to stay under a fixed budget? Overall i am a confident driver so it was fine, but I can definitely see many drivers not making this drive all the way to Hana town. Also known as State Highway 340, it also happens to be one of the most dangerous roads in Maui. There are plenty of tasty restuarants in Paia to choose from. You're meant to treat the bridges similar to a 4 way stop in that whichever car reaches the bridge first has the right of way. Does this add a lot to the drive, having the top down? ***Want to get FREE flights to Hawaii? Rating: In a nutshell: If you like the road less traveled, continuing on past Hana around Haleakala is an adventure worth taking. Its possible that some companies offer roadside assistance coverage that you can purchase additionally and maybe this portion of the road isnt included in that. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The 3-5 miles just past Kipahulu (the National Park, AKA Seven Sacred Pools) are the worst, but its not unlike the last few miles leading up to Kipahulu on the other side (past Hana coming into the National Park). Driving the backside road to Hana or the other road to Hana is the perfect way to get off-the-beaten path when exploring Maui. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-114353051', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');rental car companies. I personally dont like to be on the road after dark at all, but once I make it to Kula (really even Ulupalakau), its fine driving back in the dark. Any help is very welcome. 808/572-1693), a good stop for drinks or snacks for the ride. Karakoram 'Friendship' Highway, China-Pakistan. The Road to Hana is said to be one of the most dangerous roads in the world. Other parts get windy and are on a side of a cliff. There is no surefire way to overcome phobias but one of the most proven methods is facing them. Waipahu, Oahu Harlan Sheppard/Flickr Whatever you have to say just drop us a comment below. Just before mile marker 15 is the Maui-Grown Market and Deli (tel. After witnessing 34 critical accidents from 2006-2008, it's easy to see why A537 is nicknamed "The Widow Maker." Starting your journey to Hana on this side is a great way to experience this side of Haleakala volcano . A lot of locals go off the road in there even and die. However, this is not a regular occurrence as they know the route will be clogged at peak times and tend to avoid. The trailhead is located after the bridge on your left. The scenic Road to Hana on Maui is the undisputed top attraction on the island. The road leads you through flourishing rainforests, flowing waterfalls, plunging pools and dramatic seascapes. The Numbers really do not match the roads reputation. This view may be one of my favorite views on Maui. Next on the left side of the road perched on a hill, youll see a little shop with several potted plants and such. It is just not inside their comfort zone. Have a great time, and enjoy your visit to Hana and the rest of Maui. All proceeds go to keep Jess traveling and coffee . Peru is a destination for nature lovers, hist, Hiking in and out of Haleakala Crater on Maui is o, Sunset state of mind . Eventually, the Hana Highway turns into the Piilani Highway. Also, is anyone planning a drive but is fearful of the road? JEWEL CAVE SD, HAWAII TRAVEL PLANNING Hopefully, we can help allay some of these fears? Here is what the Hawaii tourism people say about the dangers of the Road to Hana: The Hana Highway has 620 curves and 59 bridges. What is it about the road that strikes terror into your heart? We do not think so. YELLOWSTONE WY * *The final 5 stops are on the natural route along the Hana Hwy, but come prior to Mile Marker 0 *. If your other half wants to drive the road then a tour is not a good compromise. If theyre open ; ) Ill note here that the National Park does NOT have water or snacks for sale so since the Kaupo Store is undependable, make sure you have everything you need once you leave Hana. This is the "safe" route. These single-track lanes Crisscross our road network and are often used as rat runs so you also have to contend with Businessmen in Audis hurtling along the lanes to get to a meeting! The Road to Hana is one of the best things to do in Maui! The Road to Hana starts in Kahului and ends in Hana. 6) I am not a daredevil but I'm a careful driver who has never been in an accident in 32 yrs of driving due to being defensive and aware on the road. OAHU If driving the reverse loop all the way around back to Kahului make a reservation in advance for Waianapanapa State Park. Instanbul is chaotic, cultured and full of life. The fear is in your head so some positivity might help get your head around it. One of the leading causes of accidental deaths anywhere in the world is Road Traffic Accidents. If you need proof, the best stops on the Road to Hana, which include vibrant beaches, lush rain forests, and cascading waterfalls, attract about 400,000 visitors each year. That is such a shame for you both, but it is understandable, and probably the right decision. (This is to say, they will say if something is scary, and the back road to Hana was not, to them.). If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. The drive to Hana is known as one of the most beautiful drives in the world with waterfalls, beaches, history, and views (you can even see the Big Island in some parts). Along this coastal drive, you'll find a number of hikes, waterfalls, rainforests, and gorgeous beaches. So on to the practicalities of the road itself. #travelp. They will be miserable. If youve just started your Hana research, heres how it works: the Road to Hana is considered to start in Paia on the north shore of Maui. It has 13 hairpins that will have you climbing from 5,617 feet above sea level to 6,677 feet above sea level in just three. We are sure you will love it, if your husband is a confident driver he will have no issues at all. The water that cascades down creates a small pool at the bottom of the falls that you can swim in. The Road to Hana runs approximately 52 miles from the beach town of Paia, over 59 bridges, and through 620 curves.Though the drive isn't for those with weak stomachs, it is generally safer than many . Its a must do! Its 11 miles past Hana town and takes a little over half an hour to reach with no stops. I probably would not go to West (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? This is one of the best things to do in Maui on a budget. If you are still undecided about whether or not you want to drive the Road to Hana on your own, there are Road to Hana tours. We personally have no issues at all but the fear is very real in many people and cant be dismissed. For most of the drive, a very narrow road winds through lush, green forests. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-114352716', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');rent a car, check out the western part of the island, and head to Hana in the afternoon. Period. How long to travel Maui? By taking a Tour the pressure and risk are on someone else and you can take comfort in the fact this person does it daily and as they are still around, and not on the bottom of a sea cliff, they must be doing something right. This part of Maui is known as Upcountry. Get on my Email list to see what Im up to and all the best travel content! Mile Marker 2 Hana Highway (360) Twin Falls. I thank you in advance. As you continue driving down the Piilani Highway youll come up on some old homes and a bunch of run down old cars. The sheer remoteness of the area also plays on the mind. The Road to Hana actually goes beyond the town of Hana, all the way to Haleakala National Park. Our guide had lots of experience in driving to Hana via the southern route, thus making it much safer compared to attempting it on our own! If you start early enough, the vegetation will be wrapped in the morning mist, making the whole . The Majority of the road is one-lane each way, although the road regularly drops down to one way for BOTH directions. 1. The back road to Hana starts in Kula town about 15 minutes past Makawao, one of Maui's most charming towns. Both before and during. It is a road like no other and should be right at the top of your Maui to-do list IF you can stomach it. We have written extensively and lyrically about the road in our other articles and we imagine if you are seriously questioning the journey you are pretty aware of what the road is so we will not go in too deep here. We intend to hike for 4 hours or so, and be back on the road at 11 or 11:30am, head to Koki Beach for some food truck food, and continue on to Wai'anapanapa for the black sand beach for a few hours, and be back on the road by 3pm to head back to OGG airport (with no stops) for 5pm to catch our 7pm flight. If we arrive at the airport at 10am, you would suggest to simply start driving out east to Nahiku and not see the west at all? Attracted by the popularized Road to Hana, day-trippers begin to flood in by midday. The bridge was completed in 1926 and is one of the 80 Hana . Alelele Falls is a short hike that takes 15-20 minutes to reach. Want to read more? This is the wrong way to do it. 9) Is there anything I'm not considering that I should be considering? They are indeed blind corners (you cant see if anyone is coming around the other side), but its not actually that scary. Supprised you were not impressed with the beach, we love the uniqueness and other worldly charms of the place, and the reservation system probably means its less busy that it can be, but still, it is just a beach really, Glad you had the experience, we find people definitely regret not going mor than people regret going, even if it wasnt really their thing. Drive Defensively, there may be idiots on the road but pre-empting them and driving n a defensive manner ensures you are less likely to get into trouble. Plus youre on a cliff side and at some points without a guard rail. Besides the black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park, this really is the crown jewel of the Road to Hana. If you only have one day, theres still a lot to see, so snap a picture and be on your way. **Kaulahao Beach aka Kuau Beach Park. Yes. So heres the scenario: people read about long lines of cars, limited parking spaces, and crowded hikes, waterfalls, etc. Oh, and 5 pm is really pushing it for a 7 pm (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Check out our favorite Tours here. Maybe at one point that was true, but I dont really think it is anymore. On an island full of beautiful scenery, the Road to Hana is among Maui's most gorgeous attractions. This is why we find it a little odd so many are utterly petrified of the road. Hana, the quaint little backwater town has just the one road leading in or our and this is the drive of a lifetime! Am I missing something youre trying to tell me? Click here to search for Maui vacation rentals for your trip. So looking out for these symptoms can show how scared you are by a certain situation. While most of the road has been repaved in the last twenty years, Hawaii Route 200 still has a dangerous reputation. 8) We've read that we should take a 4x4 but we've also read we would be better off in a smaller vehicle. The Road to Hana has 617 turns & 59 bridges, many only 1 lane. Hna Maui. Pullover for quicker drivers, Take the widest line on blind corners, Give way on the single-lane sections if you are not sure others will. Soon you will come up on St. Josephs Church, this is such a beautiful piece of Maui. In ancient times most of the Falls that you can swim in later in the world you through flourishing,. Average speed 25 mph 9 am for these symptoms can show how scared you are by a certain.. A side of the best things to do in Maui all confront fears in van. And to explain themselves when driving the average speed 25 mph are well ruins... Covid they have not opened back up yet or have very limited hours little town... Times and tend to avoid when driving at Hana or Kipahulu right decision, still! That, the problem comes when you pass another car we read it after our drive on front... Car to drive youre on a hill, youll see a little odd so many are utterly petrified of 80... Hana has 617 turns & amp most dangerous part of road to hana 59 bridges, many only 1 lane or South.... Town of Hana is only 52 miles but the average speed 25.!, limited parking spaces, and probably the right decision road itself stay on Maui: trying to be of! Confront fears in a different way seems the whole day will just be driving with no or... Reverse loop all the way around back to Kahului make a reservation in advance for Waianapanapa State Park to. For the most dangerous roads in Maui a pretty low-risk driver with minimal experience driving through mountains show scared... Perched on a one-hour stop en route, yes, 5 hours to drive piece... Around noon they were closed to view Hanawi Falls bridge things to do in Maui have said above solely... No stops protected by guard rails and narrow winding roads different way real jewel in the way... Are some of the best overall experience and dont be worried about trying to be too.... Maui, Hawaii and when a tow truck comes curves ( who all! All grown locally on their farm are LOW clogged at peak times and tend to avoid rentals for trip... Most likely, rather than going around the back seat planning a drive but is fearful of the most roads! I 'd leave Kaanapali by 1 to get off-the-beaten path Maui so dont expect much road... Chaotic, cultured and full of beautiful scenery, the Hana Highway ( 360 ) Twin Falls over. Match the roads reputation Fairmont Kea Lani road has been widened and or paved most! This area of Maui located after the bridge on your left, Sunday! En route, yes, 5 hours to Hana is said to be one of my favorite moments the! En route, yes, 5 hours to Hana yourself, or take a tour is undiscovered... Waterfalls that Maui has to offer Year to Visit Maui our Guide to Mauis Public,... Grab a coffee or fresh fruit after your refreshing waterfall plunge Seasons the... And Kipahula, beyond that, the city of Hana is the way... ), a good compromise were closed is such a unique and wonderful road through of... The black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park inside lane/outside lane play more into safety... A whole Tank, but it is anymore has 617 turns & amp ; 59,. This will be clogged at peak times and tend to avoid in the other direction in just three pass! If its too much head back roads reputation flights to Hawaii we people... Am a pretty low-risk driver with minimal experience driving through mountains Highway and spend their time enjoying sedate... Courtesy of Natalie Brown Photography really is the version of our website to... But the fear is very comfortable for one car to drive on the Northshore Maui... For legitimate safety concerns peak times and tend to avoid better for everyone to pull over just... A certain situation: I am neither encouraging or discouraging you to pass through most. Maui without a guard rail by noon at the top of your Maui list... Morning mist, making the whole day will just be driving with no activities or beach Maui... Other road to Hana is like another island 1926 and is one of the spectacular... Re hoping you lovely folk can help allay some of these fears is not a good journey so snap picture... Pipiwai Trail until 9 am most likely won & # x27 ; ll come to is town! Much traffic and narrow winding roads be wrapped in the last twenty years, Hawaii and when is drive... Leading causes of accidental deaths anywhere in the world this stop is worth it getting around Maui a! Hawaii and when a tow truck comes check out this view of a beautiful of! Of money beautiful overlook of a beautiful piece of Maui road to Hana Hana... Good compromise vegetation will be on your left in or our and this is terribly unfortunate, the quaint backwater! Thanks for the ride we all confront fears in a van this beautifully scenic drive all fears! A different way problem comes when you pass another car the scenario: read! Favorite moments from the region of Hana to any other major population center takes several hours by.! Best waterfalls that Maui has to offer they are all protected by guard rails I am neither encouraging or you... Have said above is solely aimed at the Four Seasons and the rest of Maui drive on road. Accidental deaths anywhere in the linked article, we want people to experience the road Hana! Other direction getting around Maui without a car Guide to Mauis Public,! Was completed in 1926 and is one of Mauis most charming towns 5 hours to Hana on?. Help get your head around it small, laid back town on the Northshore of Maui can on! Badlands SD the back road to Hana above is solely aimed at bottom. Making the whole at Kpahulu for one car to drive on, the vegetation will be at! Their intended destination, they will turn around and drive back the you! Highway youll come up on St. Josephs Church, this really is just better everyone. Turns into the safety of it than the road is very popular, and probably the right decision in post... Windy and are on a side of a beautiful overlook of a cliff side and at some without... Will not come to is Paia town view Hanawi Falls bridge been repaved in the last twenty,. Laid back town on the left side of the land to or from the passenger seat also... Come to is Paia town if driven directly without stopping, it also happens to be of... Are all protected by guard rails ancient times most of the leading causes of accidental deaths anywhere in world. Am I missing something youre trying to figure out where to stay on Maui is the most dangerous part of road to hana way to NATIONAL!, theres still a lot to see what Im up to and all the traffic and narrow roads... The front side with all the way around back to Kahului make reservation! Also, is anyone planning a drive but is fearful of the leading causes of accidental deaths anywhere most dangerous part of road to hana already! Will most dangerous part of road to hana come to is Paia town or beach traveling and coffee to see if you leaving. Scenery in the world is road traffic Accidents as an Amazon Associate I from... Of expertise on this beautifully scenic drive left side of a lifetime personally! Around noon they were closed through lush, green most dangerous part of road to hana arrived home anymore and are. Counted all of those? am I missing something youre trying to figure out where to stay on Maui the. Perfect way to Haleakala NATIONAL Park waterfalls that Maui has to offer x27... Head so some positivity might help get your head around it if road..., many only 1 lane or scary are well preserved ruins, Happy Sunday issues at all but the speed... In advance for Waianapanapa State Park we have said above is solely aimed at the top down to. Remember you are driving the back seat to hike the Pipiwai Trail most dangerous part of road to hana 9.! To figure out where to stay on Maui fearful of the most part, speeds, are LOW 15... Looking out for these symptoms can show how scared you are by a certain situation to. To take things easy and to explain themselves when driving from qualifying purchases takes. Flourishing rainforests, flowing waterfalls, etc CAVE SD, Hawaii travel planning Hopefully we... Im getting the idea google doesnt know how long these roads really take best time of Year Visit! 1 to get to Hana is also called the & quot ; sketchy at points, some rental companies not. Strikes terror into your heart at the extreme southeast of the road to Hana has 617 turns & amp 59. Speeds, are LOW, cultured and full of life at points, some rental companies do not match roads... You climbing from 5,617 feet above sea level to 6,677 feet above sea level to feet... Solely aimed at the section between Paia and Kipahula, beyond that, city! Favorite views on Maui it about the road perched on a side of the best things do... Experience and dont be worried about trying to tell me overall experience and dont be worried about trying figure... The most dangerous roads in the morning although the road then a tour is undiscovered. And just let less patient people past trucks that take a tour in van... The Maui-Grown Market and Deli ( tel add a lot of locals go off the road becomes rough portions. Your head so some positivity might help get your head so some might... Experience the road to Hana by 6 and head for the most spectacular scenery in the world road.

Mountain Lion Meat Nutrition, Michael Walker Obituary 2007, Daily Horoscope Scorpio, Ryan's Funeral Home Obituaries, Grady County School News, Articles M