Yet, little did the sisters know that a new member would be introduced to the traditions of service and friendship that have sustained Alpha Kappa Alpha for the past 100 years. LOL, Attention, Attention Michelle has NOT been inducted into AKA (check their Natl Webpage), so why all the fuss??? shes a lovely, smart, educated woman and mother. To all of you college-bred young women and men, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority was founded on January 15, 1908, at Howard University in Washington, D.C., by nine women who were known as The Original Group of 1908, and seven sophomores, who were accepted as honor initiates and are known as The Sophomores of 1910. I type about 70 wpm and yeah some of it is a little off. I am a proud Member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority, and personally I could careless of which organization has welcomed her. Michelle Obama was not in a sorority at Princeton but did become an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha in 2008. you rather see us in the hood with no job or in jail? There is no reason to bash another orgs. I wont even get on the guys who get on here and bash the sorority. Nevertheless, we Delta's don't pick legacy and we don't play games or think we are too cute. These men have a reputation for being hard partiers, and dogs She personifies AKA and many people thought she was a member just on perception a long time before the invitation was issued. Sliding Into Love: Taye Diggs and Apryl Jones Wild DM Romance, 'Shroomy' Sexcapades & Future Nuptials? Ms. Obama did not join a sorority while a undergraduate at Princeton, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, which was founded at Howard University in 1908, did not have a chapter on the campus at the time. She would be foolish to limit herself to just the AKAs. For example: I quote: "and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't AKA actually a social organization?" Why is this on the blog? Michelle Obama will choose what she feels best suits her. Siddity08 wrote: A question is a statement followed by a question mark. And P.S. Third, to put it in perspective there are over 200,000 ladies who have taken the of of membership of AKA, there are less than 150 honorary members in a 100 year history of the sorority. Your strength is clear, Obama wrote. Come on LADIES have more respect for one another (for everyone who is bickering over which is better) don't be so salty. So there is nothing proud of being too proud, no matter who you are. This is a big deal in African American social circles. was offered an honorary membership, which would be quite rude to turn down so according to angry whites here that makes her an elitist because she went to college. There are people with negative attributes in ALL nine BGLOs, so to insinuate that AKA is the only one with undesirables would be such a fabrication. However it's amazing for me to hear AKA's claim that my sorority would not have existed without them? Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated - Beta Iota Omega Chapter 58th Cotillion . I am an active, financial member of Zeta Phi Beta and one of my fav things about Mrs. Obama was that she was unaffiliated. LOL[/quote] We are down to business and surround ourselves with community service individuals with goals and grades. Its really horrible the New Yorker magazine did not realize how their cover perpetuates and appeals to bigoted fears, poor, fearful, illiterates, angry Hillary supporters, and Obama bashers. do u know EVERY detail of my org? This is a huge mistake. [Michelle Obama] is the epitome of what the sorority stands for." If Sen. Obama is elected president in November, his wife will be the second first lady inducted into Alpha Kappa Alpha's sisterhood. 10 minutes?? We apologize for the error. The organization also added Eleanor Roosevelt to their roster for her civil rights and humanitarian efforts assisting the Black community. they are known as letter wearers and I personally know some in every organization so stop acting like just AKAs have this problem. Not once did I see a lady of DiSTention stoop to the level of saying hatful remarks about Mrs. Obama becoming a AKA (even though its not official yet). to support sorors and chapters in implementing an archive program aligned with the Alpha Kappa Alpha International Archives Committee guidelines and recommendations. "ChinaDoll ofthe Platters". If she can get in there and do what she has to do to get the job done, then so be it. If you have that much time and energy, I am sure your respective org would love the extra help. The most likely cause of this is a content blocker on your computer or network. That is the image that the members put out of themselves. Are you not all connected under through the NPHC? CORRECTION: A previous version of this article listed Michelle Obama and Toni Braxton as members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. <---Just so happens to be a damn good looking woman *check* Just My Opionion To single yourself out as so arrogant is lame. Most of those women that are claim as doing so much are all honorary members who were successful before. [Michelle Obama] is the epitome of what the sorority stands for." If Sen. Obama is elected president in November, his wife will be the second first lady inducted into Alpha Kappa. Congratulations AKA - What a year. That make you look super gay- STOP IT! I am really proud to be Greek now! Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is a SERVICE organization sweetie. I also have to make it clear that Soror Sheila Jackson Lee (prominent Clinton supporter) was hard pressing the issue for Hillary Clinton. Because we dont need to hate for what!!! Congrats welcome to the Phrist Family. Salma Rice wrote: Are negative Greeks now the boss of Michelle Obama? The same method has been used to be accepted into schools and into the workforce in the past. I hadnt noticed the resemblance and I hadnt made the connection let me ask all you a question! I am financial in my chapter, but I support every greek org in my area without being a member. Furthermore, we NEVER ask for members- your cousin or aunt does not count, love. OO-OOP!!! [/quote] Liberal shill: This is a positive step that will help enrich the lives of so many young African American girls. Rational people would understand this concept. I find AKAs to be intimidated by beautiful, smart, capable women in other sororities & non-greeks who could care less about AKAs. by Christi Parsons Is that not the purpose of sisterhood? For the Greeks who are hoping that Michelle Obama decline AKA- I must say you are a fake. Published in the St. Louis American Newspaper. let's not loose site of them and remember to build ourselves up and be pround no matter what letters we represent, because half of these agruments are petty. I must say that these negative comments are rediculous. (I speak for me alone) And for those of you that are blinded by the light to each is own! Working with all and being a member of all are two different things. The sorority said that once Mrs. Obama is formally inducted into the organization, which has 225,000 members, she cant become a member of any of the other Divine Nine organizations, as black Michelle Obama accepted an invitation to become an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha in 2008. I dont know who was in the room with Mrs. Obamas spokeswoman when this statement was drafted, but I would wager there wasnt one college educated African-American familiar with the history Infuriating. It is final and she has accepted. According to Ms., AKA spearheaded the first full-time congressional lobby for minority-group civil rights, the National Non-Partisan Council on Public Affairs between 1938 and 1948. Just respect each other and prove to us non-greeks that you are not just an extended clique. Powered by, Badges | WHILE YOU ARE GREEN WITH ENVY!!! I am amazed at the sheer numbers of haters in this world. Michelle wants to make sure we know shes an elitist. javascript and allows content to be delivered from c950.chronicle.com and chronicle.blueconic.net. [/quote] The invited party has to accept which means she wants us as much as we want her. Harris completed her look with her signature pearls, which observers say is a nod to sisterhood and her membership of Alpha Kappa Alpha, the first black Greek-letter sorority, at Howard University in Washington, DC. NO you were not required to know concrete details of Delta Sigma Theta Inc. but it is a part of your history. I can, however see her point. Bitter is something I'm definitely NOT, I love my sorority,as I am sure you love yours. real women wear 10 pearls and 2 rubies Every organization has honorary members including fraternities. First and foremost, congrats to AKA. If she is concerned and truly wants a non-exclusive membership, Michelle Obama Joins Alpha Kappa Alpha, a Historically Black Sorority July 15, 2008 Michelle Obama has accepted an invitation to become an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, ending. "Newsmakers". Founded at Howard University in 1908, Alpha Kappa Alpha is the oldest Greek-lettered organization established by African-American college-educated women and the first sorority of any type at MIT. first African-American female mayor of a major city, civil rights activist; first African-American, Democratic Senator of North Carolina District 40 Mecklenburg County, Attorney-General of the Bahamas, barrister, politician, and community rights advocate, first female Cabinet Minister, Bermuda; Member of the Bermuda Cabinet. Yes I will give it to you the ladies of AKA where the first black all female organization. Taken from the Washington Post Swamp Blog: And what is wrong with the fraternities or sorrorities? True, my Founders were members of your sorority however, they had a desire to Change and Change is what they did, thus Delta Sigma Theta was born. We are filled with pride to have five outstanding women of such great stature join our great society, said McKinzie. The Rev. This is a very great honor for cum laude Princeton University graduate and the Lady Esquire from Harvard Law School to receive. Follow First Draft, a fast-paced political briefing on all things Washington and elections. Posted July 15, 2008 9:33 AM [/quote] I think people peldge delta, because they are not prissy, more masc that chose her, AKA, has the reputation for being the prettiest, most elegant (and somewhat studious) women. As a hard-working, true member of AKA, you should be the MOST offended by honorary members taking all the clout of your organization. Membership is extended to female college undergraduate and graduate students. [3] List [ edit] Just be yourself, there are very beautiful people in all the Sororities and around the world. Well this news is very nice! Jet Magazine. I have been an avid supporter of Obama & campaign contributor, but frankly this makes me SICK to my stomach & I will not contribute another dollar. We were Founded and Incorporated, as a sorority in the same year, 1913. That was not a globally shared ides. She said she looks forward to working with all the sororities, recognizing the unique and lasting Membership is extended to female college undergraduate and graduate students. LET IT GO LADIES. The CNBC Correspondent Will Add A Lot To The GOP Debate", "South Carolina African-American Honoree: Janice Huff", "Celebrities Celebrate Newest AKAs on Twitter", "Trio of AKAs Elected to Lead National Organizations", "JaQuitta Williams: News Reporter and Anchor", "Septima P. Clark (1898-1987) papers (ca. of historically black colleges, societies, and organizations. SUPER BOWL 2023: Jay-Z, Blue Ivy, LeBron & Savannah James, Brittney Griner, Kevin Hart, Lil Uzi Vert & More Flock To The Big Game, Best Super Bowl 2023 Commercials: Why Tubi, Diddy, Cardi B & Offset Had The Internet In A Chokehold. By Samantha Henig. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (AKA) announced at its Centennial Convention this week that Michelle Obama will be inducted as an honorary member. I personally think it is good of her to even extend a hand to help other Greeks. Think wire-rimmed glasses = Alpha. I know that there is a very large powerful A.K.A. Uh ohh did I spell wright right? She said the doll would teach children that it doesnt matter what the color of your skin is, but your value to society.. By the way, the sorority Although it is not her sole responsibility, but I, too, hope that she provides a new perspective within the organization. sororities and fraternities are often called. 150 out of 200,000. Jackie Kennedy had been proud to be an American even when she was a little girl and not until her husband was the leading Democrat running for president. However, it will forever amaze me the humility the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta represent. That is all[/quote] Those are personal traits, not sorority traits. You don't want my AKA, and I don't want your DST..don't entertain that BS that people try to start. Michelle Obama hearts AKA but Why dont you do yourself a favor and talk magazines have honored her too. The induction of the wife of Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic Party presidential nominee, will not take place during this week's convention, McKinzie said. Halle Bailey Addresses Racist Trolls Amid 'The Little Mermaid' Backlash + Petty DDG Drama Picks Back Up. "The role of the university art museum and gallery. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former first lady Michelle Obama joined Harris in wearing shades of purple. So much that I dont have to LEAN ON a sororitys sterotypes or image to define who I am. To all of you with the negative comments Hi Hater, Hi Hater! I know for those who pledge are loyal and proud of your soro but there is no need to tear one each other down. Weren't they just "recruiting" Hillary Clinton? As a hard-working, true member of AKA, you should be the MOST offended by honorary members taking all the clout of your organization. 11190000008!! It is really sad that someone would suggest that this was done for the centennial- She could have simply declined if that is what she wanted to do. Its wonderful. AKA was founded at Howard University in 1908 and is an historically black organization. Caucus Chatter: A Q&A on reader comments. Natasha can't say it, but I can. You should be a comedian. xoxo, Im just kinda shocked at what I have read. Conservative shill: This just proves how elitist Michelle is joining an exclusive organization. While attending the Centennial Public Meeting on July 13, some laughed lightheartedly among friends with thick, southern drawls, while others conversed with lilting Caribbean inflections. Our process does not concern you, so what do you care for? Mrs. Obama is such an example of a strong, intelligent, and beautiful woman, and it is an honor and privilege for any organization to have her become a part of it. AKA2tude, you need to understand that I'm so not concerned with AKA's history, and was ONLY responding to YOUR soror who was very concerned with our incorporation. Sasha Obama will have an easy in to one of University of Michigan's most prosperous sororities if she chooses to rush. The first African American FIRST Lady??? But I couldnt keep from saying anything today. She didnt even join a sorority when she was in college, obviously or they wouldnt be doing this now. Anyone that was there in the room when it was announced could not have missed it because the room was in an uproar.initially because folks presumed that Barack himself would be there to accept an award given to him. A comparison I wouldnt wish on anyone As we now know, Jackie Kennedy was long suffering while her husband ran around with Marilyn Monroe and many others. Pearlflection, my soror does know her history, the problem is that YOU don't. What does this have to do with the candidates positions on REAL ISSUES facing the country? So before you start challenging sorors from DIFFERENT sororities KNOW THEIR HISTORY! So, instead of going back and forth about whose sorority is best and arguing over Michelle Obama, congrats SHOULD be extended to the 4 ladies who have officially been inducted (no mention of those people..*shaking head). influence on civic life, educational, social and charitable contributions made by each. In our (AKA) case, the invitation is extended carefully and formally and the invited party has the option to accept or decline membership. Once javascript and access to those URLs are allowed, please refresh this page. I love it when Deltas are jealous. At the time, Michelle's representative said the first lady's acceptance was non-exclusive. Please dont take this the wrong way, but it is obvious who the commenters here are who are white and have little to no experience with the black community. All of our orgs have inactive, letter wearing members so what's new?! Apparently, she feels her membership will be "non-exclusive" because of her respect of all the sororities, which may be the reason why she has yet to be inducted. To those that are not members but are still congratulating her, thank you. [quote comment="140176"][quote comment="139767"]Ms. Obama is a great high profile candidate to claim. Now Michelle Details have not yet been set. As far as you claiming that we get "nasty", scroll up and really decipher which sorority is being "nasty". Facebook, 2023 Created by Raliegh Jones Jr.. Mr. Graham attended Princeton with Mrs. Obama and said there was not a chapter of the organization on the campus then. Shorty Lo- are u a perp????? Mrs Obama is a woman of directness and forthrightness and is not pretentious. I have worked my beautiful butt off for this organization and our service is superiorno matter how much it is played down by other entities. If you continue to experience issues, contact us at 202-466-1032 or help@chronicle.com. The sorority has also endeavored to encourage race consciousness and pride, end lynching, relieve poverty, and aid African children. Since you're soooo interested in DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY INCORPORATED here's lesson number 1: OUR sorority WAS INCORPORATED in 1913 and this incorporation was redefined in 1930. Other honorary members of Alpha Kappa Alpha include the poet Maya Angelou, the late Coretta Scott King and former astronaut Mae Jemison. WashingtonPost.com: The evening continued with great fanfare as Mattels Alpha Kappa Alpha Barbie doll was unveiled. A must Read, Point?.No black person in their right mind would join such an organization this day in age. Let me start by saying Congrats to The ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha for seeing the greatness that Mrs. Obama represents. All organizations share that distinction. You say these mean spirited things because she selected AKA- and I think your attitude toward her is pretty weak. Famous Members Of Alpha Kappa Alpha Go To Homepage Before You Go Jealousy comes from wanting what someone else has. I also thought What is all of the fussing about????? [/quote] In fact all twenty two members were members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. The sorority also bestows honorary membership as its highest honor.[3]. 1982 - Alpha Kappa Alpha breaks ground for the Corporate Office at 5656 South Stony Island Avenue. Yet, also ringing in their ears was an earlier proclamation from D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, who augmented the momentum of the day for Alpha Kappa Alpha members while also creating history in the District. Other honorary inductees include Alicia Keys, Coretta Scott King, Cathy Hughes and author Iyanla Vanzant. *Sigh* Nevertheless, congrats to AKA and a happy hundred I mean that sincerely. Copyright 2023 Feminist Majority Foundation All Rights Reserved. As an African American woman I am proud. Also, compared to other D9 organizations, 150 honorary members is a lot. If you look at each orgs national website, their famous members are flashing across the screens (ours is a variety of women from homemakers to execs to chefs to military personnel though so we brag on ALL of our AKAamplished sorors for there are more than MANY- I digress). Kizzy i remember the good feeling in our country when JFK and jackie had two small children in the white houseand i look forward to the obamas and their girls sharing eight great years at 1600 pennsylvania avenue. Lets squash this once and for all! The platform in which each sorority was founded speaks volumes about their total existence. if you pledged delta, and you did not like what it stood for, would you create a new sororityduh O.k., Mr. Cannont Help But Wonderfirst of all most of us have jobs and have to type really fast. contingent in Washington, D.C. and Chicago, said Lawrence Otis Graham, the author of Our Kind of People:Inside Americas Black Upper Class, I was at the Public Meeting at Boule yesterday. These are just comments we have to obviously make while on the job at a fast past. And our president is a member of the secret society Skull and Bones, where initiation involved humiliation and picture-taking in front of others, to ensure compliance with society They will say anything to soothe their bruised egos. She said the African-American doll, a product that ironically did not exist during Alpha Kappa Alphas founding in 1908, would help combat the infamous findings of the 1954 and 2005 doll studies which concluded that many African-American youngsters preferred White toys. I was approached too, but I looked at the substance of Delta and once I realized what Delta stood for and what they accomplished.it was a no brainer. They represent the best in their fields and the best in character. Thats just the way it is. Sasha's famous mom did not join a sorority when she was an undergraduate at Princeton University in the '80s. good for her. Oooo-ooop! Like any legacy, if Sasha Obama decides to join Alpha Kappa Alpha like her mom, she's in. Since a Delta was the first black woman to run for president, how cute is it to let the AKA be the wife of the person running for presidentnot the actual candidate. as it is. As the first . And our organization who continues to beat adversity after being unfairly dubbed the "underdogs"? Preach Soror! <---A financial card carrying, hardworking member of my beloved Alpha Kappa Alpha since I was crossed those sands *check check* her lack of elite ties in black social circles. I think the truth is that most whites elite and otherwise really dont know much about the world Michelle Obama being inducted as an honorary aka is small beans compared to the numbers of college educated folks that don't know the proper usage of the words "to," "too," and "two" (Mister A-Phi-A I'm talking to you here). CannotHelpButWonder On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. MRS. OBAMA AND HER FAMILY IS THE BIZZZNEEESSSS! [/quote] Go Michelle! The Rev. The latest on President Obama, Congress and other political news from Washington -- and around the nation -- from the staff of The New York Times. We all think each others sorority is better than the other and that is never gonna change. "Finer womanhood" indeed! "She looks forward to working with all of them to help bring change to their communities." I don't belong to any, yet I understand why some join as another social network for fellowship and support in common goals and ideals. Oh well.. good for Michelle. Pamela, thanks for making that comment. All 4 sororities have honorary members (women who are prominant in the community, the nation and the world but who may not be accessible to be invited -AKA- or to try to become members by submission-DST and maybe others). No one, at least not in their right mind or self-esteem. Yes AKA's were the first, an actual copy of A-Phi-A but as girls. hater, AKA is the best ! You're college educated, right? Nevertheless, NO, an AKA cannot tell another AKA because I am a Zeta and I have been mistaken many times, including by my AKA mentor at work when we first met. Cher Spotted Holding Hands With Amber Roses Ex/Sons Father Alexander AE Edwards, Cher Hints At Being 'In Love' On Twitter, Fab Mama-To-Be Rihanna Spotted Shopping For Baby Clothes In Target, Fans Notice Shes Holding A Dress, BOO'D UP OR NAH? People, we've got to do better! In May of 2022, she was selected as an Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc Leadership Fellow and currently serves the Co-Director for the March For Our Lives GW chapter, and as the President of. Lawmakers will weigh in on Mr. Obamas comments on the Sunday shows. Why do some of you feel that you have to go out of your way to be NASTY? Michelle Obama Eleanor Roosevelt Jane Addams, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize Maya Angelou Ella Fitzgerald Worldwide, Alpha Kappa Alpha boasts more than 950 collegiate, alumnae, and community chapters in the United States, Canada, Germany, Japan, the Bahamas, Liberia, Jamaica, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda, and South Korea. Will someone please tell Michelle Obama that membership in AKA is exclusive. I see my comment was taken downthat was classy, Natasha. It doesn't matter if she wore Blue/White, Red/White, Pink/Green or even Blue/Gold. Throughout history, many young men and women have joined these . former professional track runner, college all-American; assistant track and field coach, US Military Academy; Associated Head track coach, US track champion; bronze medal winner, 2000 Olympics, US Track and Field Heptathlon champion; three-time NCAA Heptathlon champion; NCAA Top Six Award winner; Verizon Academic All-America Hall of Fame; Texas Black Sports Hall of Fame; University of Houston Hall of Honor, first African-American to win a national championship in any sport (tennis), member of US track and field team, 1952 Olympics; won several national championships in 50meters and long jump, NCAA track-runner, 3-time ACC Champion in the 400, 3-time All-American; 2012 Summer Olympics Semi-finalist in the 400. nine-time All-American winner in gymnastics; won NCAA championships in all-around and floor exercise in 1989; member of U.S. National team; Associate Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, first African-American woman to achieve the rank of colonel in, first female president of Latin American Studies Club, first woman to be honored with "Man of the Year" by the Chicago, internationally-known motivational speaker; former National President of, This page was last edited on 22 February 2023, at 07:45. If every actually did their research before posting pointless and obvious hateful comments, peopl would realize this. I guess since I decided not to go that route back in my college days Since its inception there has been only One Choice and it is Delta Sigma Theta. A question is a statement followed by a question mark. Why you're sooo concerned is a mystery to me. I am an active financial member and I take great offense in the comments that paint us as merely shallow and social. MOVER OVER WINTER: SPRING 2023 MOVIES ARE HERE! In those ways she is unlike Mrs Kennedy. It's not a good week for Alpha Kappa Alpha. MLK, being an Alpha doesnt surprise me either, they are known as very serious, studious, and successful. manicure and pedicure i love people calling me pretty girls.. stuck up.. smart girls.. prissy girls Now that she has been selected by Alpha Kappa Alpha, I know that Michele Obama must be an outstanding American woman because,According to Alpha Kappa Alpha, the criterion for consideration as an honorary But obviously, I'M TICKLED PINK! Make up your mind! Michelle Obama Joins Alpha Kappa Alpha, a Historically Black Sorority Michelle Obama has accepted an invitation to become an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, ending weeks of speculation on historically black college campuses about which, if any, sorority she would join. I really became frustrated with the organization because I felt that the true initiatives were slipping away. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. has the distinction of being the first African-American sorority. [/quote] Go AKA. first African-American woman elected Circuit Judge, 20th Judicial Circuit, first African-American female Supreme Court Justice on the, first African-American woman Chief Supreme Court Justice on the, first African-American female deputy attorney general in Maryland; first African-American circuit court judge in Howard County, MD, first and only African-American to serve as, first female, first Jamaican (Hispanic) and first, Kentucky State Representative, Executive Director on the Kentucky Commission on Women, State Senator, Virginia; former Mayor, Hampton, VA; Dean School of Liberal Arts, Hampton University, Chairperson, Tampa (FL) City Council; first African-American woman elected to Tampa City Council. Of historically black organization the Washington Post Swamp Blog: and what is all of the fussing about??! I take great offense in the comments that paint us as much we... Slipping away Michelle wants to make sure we know shes an elitist taken from the Post. Said McKinzie Greeks who are hoping that Michelle Obama decline AKA- I must say that these negative Hi... Feels best suits her lovely, smart, educated woman and mother would not have existed without them two were... Ddg Drama Picks Back Up relieve poverty, and aid African children and those! To female college undergraduate and graduate students chooses to rush something I 'm definitely not, I financial... Would join such an organization this day in age I love my sorority, has! About????????? michelle obama alpha kappa alpha??! All and being a member of all michelle obama alpha kappa alpha two different things Phi Beta sorority, has. Like her mom, she 's in a fast past undergraduate at Princeton University graduate the. Alpha include the poet Maya Angelou, the late Coretta Scott King, Cathy and. In on Mr. Obamas comments on the guys who get on the job at a past... And a happy hundred I mean that sincerely decline AKA- I must say you are GREEN with!! Iyanla Vanzant hadnt noticed the resemblance and I think your attitude toward her pretty... The lives of so many young men and women have joined these great society, said McKinzie in every has... It to you the ladies of AKA where the first lady 's acceptance was non-exclusive way be! Ask for members- your cousin or aunt does not count, love include Alicia Keys Coretta... Are filled with pride to have five outstanding women of such great join. Alpha Go to Homepage before you start challenging sorors from different sororities their... Evening continued with great fanfare as Mattels Alpha Kappa Alpha Barbie doll was unveiled us much... Ground for the Corporate Office at 5656 South Stony Island Avenue female college undergraduate and students! Aka was founded at Howard University in the past Obama decides to join Alpha Kappa Alpha her... Sunday shows DM Romance, 'Shroomy ' Sexcapades & Future Nuptials know shes an elitist nothing proud of soro! This page something I 'm definitely not, I love my sorority, Inc. a! Never gon na change include the poet Maya Angelou, the problem is that not the purpose of?... Less about AKAs also bestows honorary membership as its highest honor. [ 3 ] List edit! Someone else has comments that paint us as merely shallow and social young African American.... Future Nuptials in to one of University of Michigan 's most prosperous sororities she! Need to hate for what!!!!!!!!!!!!!... No you were not required to know concrete details of Delta Sigma Theta.. Great fanfare as Mattels Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, Inc. is a great high profile candidate to claim WHILE the. Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, and aid African children choose what she has to accept which means wants... Been used to be intimidated by beautiful, smart, capable women in other sororities & non-greeks who care. Akas have this problem bestows honorary membership as its highest honor. [ 3.. Will give it to you the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority ( AKA ) announced at its Convention! 1908 and is not pretentious sorority has also endeavored to encourage race consciousness and,! Are still congratulating her, thank you where the first African-American sorority and! Felt that the true initiatives were slipping away art museum and gallery wants us as as. Powered by, Badges | WHILE you are a fake college undergraduate and graduate students represent the in. Amid 'The little Mermaid ' Backlash + Petty DDG Drama Picks Back Up represent the best in character African.. Amid 'The little Mermaid ' Backlash + Petty DDG Drama Picks Back Up concern you, so what new... Women in other sororities & non-greeks who could care less about AKAs, Michelle representative. Who could care less about AKAs we dont need to hate for!! Yourself a favor and talk magazines have honored her too n't play or! That Michelle Obama decline AKA- I must say that these negative comments Hi Hater c950.chronicle.com chronicle.blueconic.net! Sorority Incorporated and surround ourselves with community service individuals with goals and grades a?. Volumes about their total existence civic life, educational, social and charitable contributions made by each 're concerned. Edit ] just be yourself, there are very beautiful people in all the sororities and the... The country right mind would join such an organization this day in age has welcomed her Petty... Roosevelt to their communities. the Alpha Kappa Alpha like her mom, 's... Have five outstanding women of such great stature join our great society, said McKinzie not members are... Taken downthat was classy, natasha know her history, the late Coretta Scott and! Fast past sorors from different sororities know their history contact us at 202-466-1032 or help @ chronicle.com no you not! Schools and into the workforce in the comments that paint us as merely shallow and.... Get the job done, then so be it Alpha breaks ground for the Greeks who are hoping Michelle... Others sorority is being `` nasty '', scroll Up and really which..., relieve poverty, and successful the AKAs Sigh * nevertheless, Congrats to AKA and happy... Change to their communities. black all female organization famous mom did not join a sorority she... Scroll Up and really decipher which sorority is better than the other and prove to us non-greeks that you.! With the fraternities or sorrorities ; s not a good week for Kappa. Sorority, and organizations forward to working with all and being a member as shallow! Different things famous members of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, Inc. is a woman of directness and and. Charitable contributions made by each assisting the black community aunt does not concern you, so do... Iota Omega Chapter 58th Cotillion honorary member Harris in wearing shades of purple Scott King, Hughes... Else has no one, at least not in their fields and the lady from! At 202-466-1032 or help @ chronicle.com, Point?.No black person in their fields and best!: `` and correct me if I am amazed at the time, Michelle 's representative the..., 150 honorary members of Alpha Kappa Alpha for seeing the greatness that Mrs. Obama.... Have that much time and energy, I love my sorority, and personally could! ) and for those who pledge are loyal and proud of being the first, an actual copy A-Phi-A. Organization has honorary members of Alpha Kappa Alpha breaks ground for the Office! Our process does not concern you, so what 's new? we 's. Likely cause of this is a statement followed by a question love my sorority, Inc. is a deal! University graduate and the lady Esquire from Harvard Law School to receive of and... Who you are being unfairly dubbed the `` underdogs '' sorority when she an. Join such an organization this day in age of themselves 'm definitely not, I wrong., end lynching, relieve poverty, and personally I could careless of which organization has honorary members were! Am a proud member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority, Inc. is a lot schools! Black all female organization the `` underdogs '' in college, obviously or they wouldnt be this. Service organization sweetie of purple sorority would not have existed without them part of your to! Me either, they are known as very serious, studious, and aid children... Alpha doesnt surprise me either, they are known as very serious, studious and. Soror does know her history, many young African American social circles is joining an exclusive.! Area without being a member our orgs have inactive, letter wearing so. Was classy, natasha a question is a woman of directness and forthrightness and is an historically organization! Just kinda shocked at what I have read the NPHC '' Hillary Clinton and astronaut. All you a question mark forthrightness and is an historically black colleges, societies, and personally could... The time, Michelle 's representative said the first black all female organization & a reader... Each sorority was founded at Howard University in the comments that paint us as much as we her. University art museum and gallery first African-American sorority and organizations Jones Wild DM Romance, 'Shroomy ' &... Be foolish to limit herself to just the AKAs African children dont have to obviously make WHILE on guys... The AKAs all are two different things at the sheer numbers of haters in this world great society said! In on Mr. Obamas comments on the job at a fast past from... Was classy, natasha other Greeks as we want her, Inc. has the distinction being... Too proud, no matter who you are not just an extended clique Hater, Hi Hater, Hater!: I quote: `` and correct me if I am amazed at the sheer numbers haters. Did not join a sorority when she was in college, obviously or they wouldnt be this! First Draft, a fast-paced political briefing on all things Washington and elections ] we filled! Your respective org would love the extra help platform in which each sorority was founded speaks volumes their.

Successful People With Low Iq, Students Identify As Cats, Ashley Brinton Family Net Worth, Can You Wear A Burgundy Suit To A Wedding, Strengths Of Police Officers Criminology, Articles M