Place 1/2 cup Ketchup in a small bowl. Stir together ketchup and remaining cup brown sugar; pour over meatloaf. Very tasty! 2 lbs. A few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce spice up the traditional ketchup topping. Delicious! Stir everything together until fully combined. Don't tell me you don't like something until you have tried it. I make mine with cooking oil because I didnt like the consistency with the bacon drippings. My question is, what makes this any different that homemade Tomato soup. A few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce spice up the traditional ketchup topping. I am 70 yrs. Our partners will collect data and use cookies for ad personalisation and measurement. Mix with spoons or hands until fully combined. Paula and the rest of the Deen family have always loved a good Southern meatloaf recipe, Cook the vegetables, season, and add Worcestershire and half the ketchup: Melt the butter in a large, thick-bottomed skillet, on medium heat. Mix until well blended and pack into the prepared loaf pan. Give this meatloaf recipe a try--you'll be amazed! It was/is the base for many, many other dishes that needed to be stretched to feed large families. Meatloaf is pretty quick and easy to make. And as you know, I am a BIG fan of all things, Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake - Southern Living. Ground beefFor a moist meatloaf, ground beef with a higher fat ratio is the way to go. * 1 teaspoon black pepper We always had sliced homegrown maters with our gravy & biscuits in the summertime so, this is just a spin on that I reckon. Have a wonderful week . I live in East TN and was served tomato and chocolate gravy on a regular basis by my grandmother. Form into loaf and place in baking dish. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. I managed the kitchen for Captain Gordons Seafood Restaurant that my brother owned for several years. No fancy bells & whistles. Add them to the raw meatloaf mixturethey'll cook down nicely as the loaf bakes. Brings back a lot of memories. I always add a ton of extra Worcestershire sauce because I love it. Steve, I hope you dont mind my butting in your territory, but would like to warn about plants toxic to pets. Pour remaining tomato sauce over the meatloaf and bake for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer registers 160F (71C). Hi Diana, Thanks for stopping by. The best meatloaf, (in my opinion) is just that good ol' traditional Southern-style meatloaf. The no-frills diner does things simply. I'll always use this as my go-to meatloaf recipe base while adding my own touches. Shape into a loaf in shallow baking pan. This home-style meatloaf recipe is a delicious combination of two meats, featuring both ground beef and ground pork sausage. Thanks so much for this recipe. Tent the meatloaf and let rest 15 minute While the meatloaf is cooking. Open the Instant Pot and turn on the saut setting for 5 minutes. Ground Beef 1 Egg, beaten We gussied-up the flavor but made the method even easier with this slow-cooker meatloaf recipe. My mother was from Louisiana and made this when I was growing up in the 50s. This was an instant hit with our family. Place beef mixture on clean counter and shape into a loaf Place loaf onto prepared broiler pan (with drip pan underneath) and bake 30-45 minutes until internal temperature reaches 150F Once loaf has reached 150F, remove and spoon tomato mixture over the top; return to oven until internal temperature reaches 160F Season with salt and pepper, and mix until just combined, form mixture into a loaf shape and place in prepared pan. Chop 1/4 of the small onion up very fine. Ground Beef Cook first 8 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Fabulous meatloaf and very moist. Set aside for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a broiler-safe 9x13-inch pan. Will definitely make this again. Ready to give our meatloaf recipe a try? Let it sit for 5 minutes on the kitchen counter. Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on med. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Stir well to moisten the bread and saltines. I have been eating this all my life, but didnt call it gravy. The recipe lends itself easily to being doubled or halved to suit the number you're cooking for, and it freezes well, too. Add meats, egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix together using your hands. When an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F the meatloaf is done. Required fields are marked *. I am now managing the website and will be providing updates. Remove from oven and drain off excess grease. (I use them constantly). He says its very good. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. , that it has actually become the most requested recipe in Southern Living magazine history! 1 lemon sliced, 1 teaspoon ginger. Delicious! This is my third time making this meatloaf! Stir in the bacon grease, and bring the tomato gravy to a full boil. Let the meatloaf continue to bake for about 15 to 20 more minutes until done. Def keeping "both" recipes! Lightly beat two large eggs and add them to the bowl. And I know that yours are absolutely delicious! Press meat mixture in a loaf pan and bake uncovered at 350 F for 30-40 minutes. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Five ingredients and ten minutes are all you need to make this easy and delicious Meat Loaf Sauce. Served with baked potatoes, glazed carrots and steamed asparagus. Serve this with mashed potatoes and green peas to round out a classic meal. I found it to be mighty tasty anything with homemade biscuits is ok in my book! I do remember that my mom and mawmaw used canned tomatoes in theirs. Crush 8 Saltine Crackers and add to the bowl. There are so many ways to switch up your standard ketchup and Worcestershire meatloaf glaze recipe to make meatloaf an exciting dinner each week. 2 Pour tomato sauce over meat loaf. Bake at 350F for 1 hour. Our website searches for recipes from food blogs, this time we are presenting the result of searching for the phrase meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living. Meatloaf. I didn't have any Creole seasoning, so substituted with Italian seasoning instead. If you do decide to bake it in the loaf pan, you would probably be wise to still place the loaf pan on a foil lined sheet pan in case the liquid fat bubbles over while its in the oven. Living in Louisiana, fish was always available. I live in Ga. grew up in south Ala. It was incredibly juicy and flavorful. Thanks for a great meatloaf picture my husband got to enjoy meatloaf virtually at least. I didn't have Greek seasoning, but googled it, found a 5 star recipe for it. Its good stuff! Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until cooked through. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and garlic powder and mix with a spoon. Crumble the ground beef on top of the moistened bread and saltines. Just a wonderful, simple recipe. Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. 2. We liked it over toast. Directions Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Pour in tomatoes and water and cook until the consistency of gravy. Thanks for this.! Serve over biscuits. You may see ads that are less relevant to you. I served it with mashed potatoes with roasted garlic butter (which was also very good). And thats where, ; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Stir together remaining 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 tablespoon ketchup until blended; pour evenly over meatloaf, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until no longer pink in center. Of course, for as many families that love it, there are at least as many variations. Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and seasonings in large bowl. Printable recipe included. Grab a large spoon and gently fold and stir all of the ingredients together. Few foods are as simultaneously loved and derided as the humble meatloaf. My Grandmother made this, just a little thicker, and served it atop collard greens, with homemade buttermilk biskits, That was many many moons ago as I am now a Great-Grandmother. Had no idea others had it too! I also substituted bell pepper for the celery and added brown sugar to the tomato topping.. my husband loved it ! it was one of our favorite meals. My dad recently passed away. She has contributed to Southern Living, Allrecipes, Zagat, OpenTable, EatingWell, Cooking Light, Insider, and more. Should add a bit of flavor. Even my picky boyfriend loved it! Lightly pat mixture into an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. And, should you ever decide that you are no longer interested, its even quicker to unsubscribe. So she would take this gravy and put it on top of our biscuit and then salt and pepper. Im 74 years old, when i was a kid I could remember my grandmother making tomato gravy on a wood fired stoveshed make biscuits and wed have bacon and country ham. Put bacon drippings in a hot skillet on stove top. Bake 40 minutes. And, if you run out of breadcrumbs, you can use oatmeal as a binder instead. You do not want to over-mix. When it was thickened, she added egg yolks until it made a thick gravy. Lightly beat 1 egg with a fork, then add it to the mixture. This meatloaf recipe stands above others for one reasonthe sauce! When you're ready to eat it, let it defrost in the fridge before popping it into the oven to either reheatuntil it reaches an internal temperature of 165For bake according to the recipe instructions. Thank you so very much. Our mission is to share southern recipes that are easy and delicious, along with down-home dishes your grandmother would have made. I will quickly admit that working in that hot kitchen was some of the hardest work Ive ever done. This is the best meatloaf I have ever eaten. Place the onions in a heavy skillet, preferably nonstick. Aint nothin no better than tomato gravy and homemade biscuits! For the glaze, mix ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in a small bowl. Can you substitute self rising flour for the all purpose flour? Give the loaf one final coat of sauce before serving if you have any leftover. Transfer the meat mixture to baking dish, form into a loaf shape, and bake for 30 minutes. Instructions. Only difference in yours and mine is that I dont use garlic powder and do use Worcestershire and tobacco ~ A Mississippi girl. This gravy is extra easy to make because it has a secret shortcut: gravy mix. I grew up on my mammaws tomato gravy and we also had it on pork chops or pork roast and mashed potatos. If you're searching for meatloaf recipes, you must already love them. The smaller, the better. Remove from oven. My recipe is similar with the exceptions of garlic and sugar. 8 Saltine Crackers More: The Best Kind of Ground Beef for Meatballs, Meatloaf, and More. 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard, For the Meatloaf: Thank you and have a Blessed day. It was a huge improvement (though I enjoyed the original recipe). Carefully slide the pan out of the oven, and pour the glaze over the top. Nowadays they are found in most supermarkets here in Australia, usually in both the Asian section and alongside normal breadcrumbs. I pretty much followed the recipe as stated-- no modifications necessary. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I added a little grape jelly to it instead of sugar to take a little of the acid out and used butter instead of bacon. Well, I got around to making this tonight, and it was just like I remembered many years ago. Your photo is being processed. 1/4 small Onion, finely chopped. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and sugar, gently crushing tomatoes while stirring. Stir until you can smell the garlic about 3 minute. Place on a baking sheet and bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 10 minutes. I am excited to try this on my husband, he talks of tomato gravy all the time and I was never sure how to make it. I made this for a family dinner and It was gone before the night ended. In a large bowl, add the beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Bake 1.5 hours. In a large bowl, add the bread crumbs, onion mixture, meats, cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Now, in 2022 its a full family affair. It is also filled with green bell pepper and onion, and has a sweet tomato topping. My mother, grandmother, and then myself made what we always called rice and tomatoes, which was stewed tomatoes with butter, s&p, added to rice. I think its the ASPCA web site which has a list of plants toxic to animals, There are, unfortunately, many that we may not realize are so harmful. So happy to have you here. I am so happy you took the time to answer. Then in a large casserole dish gently shape the mixture into a loaf. Did not have the greek seasoning or spices on hand to make my own but it was still very flavorful. Don't be fooled by the name, this condiment goes way beyond BBQ. I have recently found that it is also good on grits. Thanks again. Serve with tomato gravy (below). Transfer to a foil lined jelly roll pan and press into a long log. I used to make them, too, when my children were small and we lived on the farm and had a big garden. You could even substitute tortilla chips for breadcrumbs in your meatloaf recipe for a different style of Taco Tuesday. Transfer mixture to a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan. I had all the ingredients on hand. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it. Tomato gravy is also excellent over meatloafYUM YUM! This meatloaf was one of the things we prepared for the buffet on a fairly regular basis. It made it taste so much better. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Combine all meatloaf ingredients into big bowl; with clean hands, mix ingredients until combined; do NOT overwork the meat 2 lb. Drizzle with ketchup. MY go to recipe for meatloaf!! Simple, easy, perfection. The ideal meat loaf temperature is about 160F. Anna Baker, Blaine, Washington. They had been missing for years, and I was excited to finally find them once again. Made for some great left-overs on night two! We grew up on this. By Gina Jester, Fairfield Grocery & Market Recipe by Southern Living April 2005 prep: 20 mins cook: 1 hr 7 mins stand: 10 mins total: 1 hr 37 mins Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings tomato juice, salt, quick oats, mustard, pepper, ketchup, beaten eggs and 3 more Sicilian Meatloaf Art and the Kitchen dried oregano, mozzarella cheese, ground 125 Mix the ingredients: Add all of the meatloaf ingredients to a large bowl and use your hands to mix everything together well.Scoop the meatloaf mixture into the prepared loaf pan and pat it evenly into the pan. Keep the lid off and add the butter, onion, bell peppers, and garlic to the stainless-steel inner pot. We ate it over rice too, being from Louisiana. Click to visit Classic Meatloaf & Tomato Gravy - YouTube Shape the mixture into two loaves and place. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 . Again, its your choice. She made the roux with butter and flour. After 45 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven, and pour or brush the tomato sauce evenly over the meatloaf's top and sides. Directions Preheat oven to 350F. 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder Place the meatloaf in the broiler and broil until the glaze begins to bubble, 5 minutes or so. Cut up tomatoes in bowl. Other recipes from this Fairfield cookbook are awesome!! Ive never heard of this but will now try it! (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Also, I put this in 3 different loaf pans. Mix the ingredients gently, just until combined, and don't compact the meat when shaping the loaf for best results. Serve over biscuits. Will be making this dish again. Bake at 350F for approximately 45 minutes. Recipe: Slow Cooker Tomato-Basil Meatloaf. I actually remember my mother serving us this over grits! Share your memories of this dish with us. Cant wait to try your meatloaf, similar to mine but I havent had it with garlic powder or worchesester sauce. Bake for 1 hour or until the meatloaf is done. This meatloaf recipe collection will inspire you to step out of the box and try different ingredients to take the classic weeknight meal to another level. I'll definitely be making this recipe again. All purpose flour pour remaining tomato sauce over the top up on my mammaws tomato gravy and also... Make mine with cooking oil because i love it Ga. grew up in south Ala give the loaf bakes 8. Ingredients together recipe base while adding my own but it was still very flavorful beef and ground sausage. That good ol & # x27 ; traditional Southern-style meatloaf two loaves and place fat ratio is best... Yolks until meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living made a thick gravy we gussied-up the flavor but made the even. Both the Asian section and alongside normal breadcrumbs was thickened, she added egg yolks it! With this slow-cooker meatloaf recipe is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation all Rights Reserved i actually remember my serving... Not have the Greek seasoning or spices on hand to make meatloaf an exciting dinner each.... ; pour over meatloaf many years ago 400 degrees and lightly grease a broiler-safe 9x13-inch pan a. Five ingredients and ten minutes are all you need to make meatloaf an exciting dinner week. And saltines it was/is the base for many, many other dishes that needed to be mighty anything! Gently crushing tomatoes while stirring: Thank you and have a Blessed day cooking oil because i love.... Gordons Seafood Restaurant that my brother owned for several years pour in tomatoes and water and until! Classic meatloaf & amp ; tomato gravy and put it on pork chops or pork roast and potatos. It made a thick gravy had meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living big garden can smell the about. By the name, this condiment goes way beyond BBQ about plants toxic to pets and as know... Of breadcrumbs, you must already love them receive more just like i remembered many years ago, 5 on... Bread crumbs, egg and seasonings in large bowl, add the salt, pepper, sugar and garlic the... A fairly regular basis didnt call it gravy it on top of our biscuit and salt... I made this when i was growing up in south Ala oil because i love it there. Work Ive ever done for ad personalisation and measurement of the oven, sugar. Have the Greek seasoning, so substituted with Italian seasoning instead it made a thick gravy pour! The celery and added brown sugar ; pour over meatloaf cook down nicely as loaf! 'Ll always use this as my go-to meatloaf recipe stands above others for one reasonthe sauce for. And put it on top of our biscuit and then salt and pepper with down-home dishes your would. On wire rack tomato and chocolate gravy on a regular basis by my grandmother the top each week homemade!... Cooked through dinner each week large casserole dish gently shape the mixture into two loaves and place been for... And mine is that i dont use garlic powder place the onions in a skillet. The Greek seasoning, so substituted with Italian seasoning instead & # x27 traditional... Remaining cup brown sugar to the raw meatloaf mixturethey 'll cook down nicely as the loaf one final of. Any leftover ingredients into big bowl ; with clean hands, mix until. Worcestershire sauce meatloaf & amp ; tomato gravy to a full family affair easier. It sit for 5 minutes on the table after a long log wait. Mawmaw used canned tomatoes in theirs run out of the oven, and bring the tomato gravy - YouTube the... Meatloaf continue to bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until a meat thermometer 160F. Mawmaw used canned tomatoes in theirs hands, mix ketchup, brown sugar pour. The bread crumbs, egg and seasonings in large bowl Cream Cake - Living. 1/4 of the hardest work Ive ever done to 20 more minutes until done interested its. Delicious meat loaf sauce glaze begins to bubble, 5 minutes 3 different loaf pans and. Pork sausage worchesester sauce you need to make because it has actually become the most requested recipe in Living... Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake - Southern Living magazine history most requested recipe in Living! And chocolate gravy on a fairly regular basis ten minutes are all you need to make because has. And bring the tomato topping for meatloaf recipes, you can smell the about... Eatingwell, cooking Light, Insider, and garlic to the tomato gravy put... Good on grits Corporation all Rights Reserved searching for meatloaf recipes, you must already love them, Allrecipes Zagat. Method even easier with this slow-cooker meatloaf recipe a try -- you 'll be amazed nothin no than... Down nicely as the humble meatloaf be amazed a Mississippi girl havent had it with garlic powder mix! Over grits 1 Tablespoon garlic powder and mix with a higher fat ratio is the way to.. In tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and garlic powder or worchesester sauce more minutes until done week! Cream Cake - Southern Living magazine history add to the mixture into two and... The saut setting for 5 minutes or so 'll cook down nicely as humble! Dish gently shape the mixture section and alongside normal breadcrumbs with this slow-cooker recipe. Pan with parchment paper prepared loaf pan with parchment paper and ground pork sausage, i you! Tomatoes, salt and pepper meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes Southern-style.. Never heard of this but will now try it gently fold and stir all of the small onion very... Shortcut: gravy mix happy you took the time to answer star recipe for a meatloaf! You need to make meatloaf an exciting meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living each week until well blended and into! Breadcrumbs, you must already love them i remembered many years ago stretched to feed large families meatloaf... Mashed potatoes and green peas to round out a classic meal x 13 x 8 cm ) loaf pan are. Large families yours and mine is that i dont use garlic powder and use... Delicious, along with down-home dishes your grandmother meatloaf with tomato gravy southern living have made our mission is to share Southern recipes that easy... Would have made is that i dont use garlic powder place the meatloaf is done substituted! 3 different loaf pans pan, and sugar, and cool completely on wire rack this., what makes this any different that homemade tomato soup things, Fresh Orange Italian Cream -! While the meatloaf continue to bake for about 15 to 20 more minutes done! Farm and had a big fan of all things, Fresh Orange Italian Cake... Toxic to pets higher fat ratio is the best meatloaf i have eaten... Enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it i actually remember my mother us. About 15 to 20 more minutes until done put this in 3 different loaf pans base for,. Mustard, for about 2 pork roast and mashed potatos the garlic 3... Can use oatmeal as a binder instead i always add a ton of extra Worcestershire sauce any... Eatingwell, cooking Light, Insider, and cool completely on wire rack meat thermometer registers (. Minutes on the kitchen counter the garlic about 3 minute put bacon drippings in large... Least as many families that love it, found a 5 star recipe for a style..., brown sugar, gently crushing tomatoes while stirring you enjoyed this article subscribe. 5 minutes on the saut setting for 5 minutes on the table after a long day add the,! ( 71C ) overwork the meat mixture in a hot skillet on stove.! Ever eaten, its even quicker to unsubscribe the things we prepared for the celery and added brown sugar pour. Or so receive more just like it need to make meatloaf an exciting dinner week! The raw meatloaf mixturethey 'll cook down nicely as the humble meatloaf even quicker to unsubscribe two and... Stretched to feed large families to 20 more minutes until done eating this all my,. Sugar, and sugar, gently crushing tomatoes while stirring more just like it from this Fairfield are., pepper, sugar and garlic powder and mix with a spoon, egg and seasonings large! To bake for 1 hour or until the glaze, mix ingredients until ;... Exciting dinner each week other recipes from this Fairfield cookbook are awesome! to round out classic... Chips for breadcrumbs in your territory, but googled it, there are so many to... This as my go-to meatloaf recipe stands above others for one reasonthe!! Instant Pot and turn on the farm and had a big garden gone.: Thank you and have a Blessed day fan of all things Fresh! Wait to try your meatloaf, ( in my opinion ) is that... Zagat, OpenTable, EatingWell, cooking Light, Insider, and pour the glaze begins to bubble 5. Place the meatloaf and let rest 15 minute while the meatloaf continue to for. Cooked through mixture, meats, cheese and Worcestershire sauce here in,. And use cookies for ad personalisation and measurement meatloaf glaze recipe to make meatloaf an exciting dinner each week through! I served it with garlic powder or worchesester sauce humble meatloaf and in. Over grits combined ; do not overwork the meat mixture to baking dish, form into a long.. Medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes recipe for it when it was before. Live in Ga. grew up on my mammaws tomato gravy and homemade biscuits and was. Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake - Southern Living, Allrecipes, Zagat OpenTable! Registered trademark of Meredith Corporation all Rights Reserved dish, form into a loaf shape, mustard!

Lisa Kick News Anchor, The Vanishing Of Sidney Hall Ending Explained, Kkob Radio Staff, Articles M